• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revival of Historic Rally in New England from the 1950s

Roverguy

Hello fellow BMW and car enthusiasts:

I thought I'd share with you an exciting event I will be part of putting on this October.  

It is the Great American Mountain Rally Revival.

I have been Rallying on and off since the late 70's and a few years ago meet up with a co worker in my industry (Civil Engineering - I am a professional Land Surveyor) who is heavily involved in rallying.

Steve is an extremely talented and sought after Navigator who has Rallied all over the world including the Monte Carlo, Baden Classic, LeJong just to name a few.

Steve had posted a blog about this rally which peeked my curiosity as a New Englander and as a Surveyor.  I spend 6 months re-tracing the original route from only written instructions. Utilizing Garmin Basecamp software, Google Earth and the internet I was able to recreate the route.

Steve and I have spent many weekends running and checking the directions and noting the changes in roads throughout the rally.

We will be running the final recce of the entire route this weekend.  Registration is open; a link to more about the rally and how to register follows.

Please feel free to contact me at GAMRR2018@Gmail.com if you would like more information.

Hoping to see some of you there.

Here is a summary of the event and some links to more information:

"Automotive rally teams from the northeastern U.S. and beyond will gather October 12–14, 2018, to challenge their cars and themselves in a 700-mile Revival of the Great American Mountain Rallye (GAMR), a European-style endurance event that was held annually from 1953-1957 in upstate N.Y. and New England..."  

For more information on the Historic Rally and where to register please follow the links below: 

https://stevemckelvie.wordpress.com/?s=GAMRR

SCCA Registration page:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/great-american-mountain-rally-revival-salem-golf-club-scca-new-england-roadrally-899014

Regards:

Gary J. Hamilton, Rally Master
978-500-8039
Steve McKelvie, Rally Chairman

1385004489_FinalPlate.thumb.JPG.de3f6550a7b0a1066bc51b854f134e90.JPG

Edited by Roverguy
Link to registration
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well:

The event was run and here is a link to the great event:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/10/28/re-starting-a-new-england-tradition-with-the-great-american-mountain-rally-revival/

Please note; all the graphics were prepared by Scott Sislane and Calico Graphics.

Thanks for the great job Scott!

We will be running GAMRR2019; planning has already started. Although BMW did not run in the early years we would love to see some of you guys running your 02's through the mountains of NY & VT!

As soon as the web page is up I will post the link.

In the meantime please reach out to me to get on the mailing list at GAMRRRally@gmail.com

Gary Hamilton

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

Joe:

Per my original post:

As soon as the web page is up I will post the link.

In the meantime please reach out to me to get on the mailing list at GAMRRRally@gmail.com

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car