• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 Navy OEM Vinyl or Close?

Nov 32T

I'm pretty sure we can still get the marineblau vinyl straight from BMW. I just sent a message to my parts guy to check availability and should hear back in the morning. If it is, you're looking at around $45 a meter. I'll let you know for sure as soon as I hear back. 

Edited by DealinDave

www.blunttech.com

DealinDave@blunttech.com

1 hour ago, DealinDave said:

I'm pretty sure we can still get the marineblau vinyl straight from BMW. I just sent a message to my parts guy to check availability and should hear back in the morning. If it is, you're looking at around $45 a meter. I'll let you know for sure as soon as I hear back. 

The issue for many is that you can still buy the smooth vinyl from BMW — and it’s an excellent match — but BMW no longer sells a navy blue perforated vinyl that matches the pattern of any of their original perforated vinyls (which changed at least three times).

For my ‘76’s spare front seats, I, therefore, re-used perforated vinyl from old seats. But finding sufficient perforated vinyl of the ‘75-‘76 pattern was an enormous challenge, as most 40-year old vinyl — and particularly the crap they used in the final years of ‘02 production — lacks the elasticity and flexibility a high-quality seat restoration demands.

Below, the restoration of my spare front seats. The work was done by The Mad Stitcher of Atlanta, Georgia.

Regards,

Steve

F98607DD-4298-4EA6-A5CF-2C28099162E8.jpeg

728724D3-B264-4B5C-98F7-B55610005045.jpeg

28077BDB-D665-450E-AA5F-A7B3A772B297.jpeg

AEB8DF72-AAAE-4BD6-9F0C-2DBEE362DB70.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 3

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Very nice.  Earlier this year, I got covers for my '75 from World Upholstery and they were able to match the original perforated covers very nicely.  They might not sell you the stuff outright but the good news is that it is apparently still available.  

Wait, are those OEM horsehair pads?  Those tings cost a fortune now if you can find them.  

Edited by Hodgepodge

Current: '74 2002,75 2002, 88 E28 M5(2), 92 E34 M5, 02 E39 M5, 01 E39T M5, 08 E93 328i, 08 E61 535i, 09 E93 335i, 09 E91 328ix, 12 E70 3.5i  '67 Alfa Romeo Spider; '69 Alfa Romeo Spider, '08 Dodge 1500 SLT. Past BMWs: '74 2002tii, '74 2002, '76 E12 530i, '78 E12 528i, '85 E28 535is, '93 E34 528iT, '94 E34 528i, '99 E36 328ic (2) '99 E39 528iT, '03 E46 330i convt., '07 E90 328i

44 minutes ago, Hodgepodge said:

....Earlier this year, I got covers for my '75 from World Upholstery and they were able to match the original perforated covers very nicely.  They might not sell you the stuff outright but the good news is that it is apparently still available...

I do believe both World Upholstery and GAHH will sell their vinyl by the yard! If one or both of their perforated vinyls is a good match for the original, your good to go.

If you’re particularly obsessed with originality, then you’d just need to deal with the heat-seamed pleat issue, or, rather, the lack of heat-seamed pleats on replacement perforated vinyl.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

15 hours ago, Conserv said:

The issue for many is that you can still buy the smooth vinyl from BMW — and it’s an excellent match — but BMW no longer sells a navy blue perforated vinyl that matches the pattern of any of their original perforated vinyls (which changed at least three times).

AEB8DF72-AAAE-4BD6-9F0C-2DBEE362DB70.jpeg

Those came out super nice.

It looks like there are actually two different perforated blue vinyls still available from BMW. The biggest issues are that they are both special order from Germany (so not returnable) and as Steve mentioned, there were multiple versions of the stuff so no idea which is which without ordering them. One is listed as vinyl lining grained, and one is listed as upholstery imitation leather in perforated blue. It looks to be the same story with black as well. You would end up with something close, but not an exact match to original. 

• Thanks 1

www.blunttech.com

DealinDave@blunttech.com

24 minutes ago, DealinDave said:

Those came out super nice.

It looks like there are actually two different perforated blue vinyls still available from BMW. The biggest issues are that they are both special order from Germany (so not returnable) and as Steve mentioned, there were multiple versions of the stuff so no idea which is which without ordering them. One is listed as vinyl lining grained, and one is listed as upholstery imitation leather in perforated blue. It looks to be the same story with black as well. You would end up with something close, but not an exact match to original. 

Thanks, Dave,

And to further confuse matters, when I tried to order the black perforated vinyl from BMW (through Blunttech, Steve P.) in 2015, BMW responded that they could not sell it to me unless I could show I had a European title to my ‘73, something I don’t have for this always-been-U.S. car.

Huh? WTF?

Neither Steve nor I had any idea where this came from: European Union issues regarding certain exports...of certain textile products? I’ve heard similar stories regarding parts such as “2002ti” emblems, primarily for cars not officially imported into the U.S.  But black perforated vinyl?

I’d love to hear whether mine was an isolated incident, or was some sort of policy.

Regards,

Steve

Actually they did say a title was required to order the vinyl, which seems totally nonsensical since it's vinyl meant for US cars as well. I've see that happen a couple of times where they'll have a part labelled as "blocked" but when you submit a US title it will get approved by BMW. The only reason that I could see them requiring a title is to verify that a car was originally equipped with blue vinyl interior, which seems like it'd be more legwork than BMW would actually want to do. It's all speculation though as I don't think even BMW knows why they do things they way they do when it comes to these cars. 

Worst case we can get it from one of our dealers in Europe, it just ends up costing more in shipping. 

www.blunttech.com

DealinDave@blunttech.com