• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Conditioner Condenser and Fan Mount Tips

BritshIron

2 hours ago, BritshIron said:

I have heard that folks do exactly as you describe. Eliminate the pulley-driven fan in favor of using only the electric fan associated with the condenser. I think it will work fine, especially with an upgraded radiator.

Maybe where you are ?

But maybe not where I  am! 

:D

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

1 hour ago, BritshIron said:

Well, I borrowed my wife's outside thermometer and used a rubber band to secure it to the evaporator and ash tray. 39 degees F after 10 miles of driving. I'm happy with that!

Aloha, Robert  (PS. Ambient temperature is 78 degrees. RPS)

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

Oh no, Robert! Never trot out a thermometer for your A/C in front of Ray! Anyone, but not Ray! ???

He has no choice now but to show us all, in un-retouched photos, how his Frigiking reaches -12 Fahrenheit, idling in Savannah traffic. On the highway, it gets much colder.... ?

The horror...the horror.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Haha 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

6 hours ago, ray_ said:

Did you hear about the guy who froze himself to absolute zero?

He's O K now.

Guess what I am emailing my physicist friend?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

• 1 month later...

Dudeland Looks great!!!!. After mounting the condenser, was it very hard to get a wrench onto the fittings to tighten up well? How about to the receiver dryer? What did you use to cut the condenser bracket on the passing side to fit so nicely? Test fitted my condenser and fan today. Hope to have it in this weekend. Hope springs eternal, lol.

Scott

Scottjeffrey, It's sort of hard to photograph with the car now buttoned up, but the condenser is pretty much in the same plane as the radiator. Vertical, but don't use a plumb-bob!

I'll be back into the engine later this month. One thing I'm going to do is change the location of the dryer, to a cooler spot in the engine bay (maybe just under the air intake and forward of the washer bottle, on the right, front bulkhead). I'm also going to re-route the hose coming out of the expansion valve/evaporator to allow it to run along the scuttle (oops, firewall) and then along the right side of the engine bay to the dryer. I don't like the hose going over the top of the engine, as shown. 

I'm trying for Ray's -12 Fahrenheit at idle, or was that Centigrade? Good luck! Robert

PS. Can you all see the six, roughly two inch holes drilled right along the bottom of the front valence? I'm thinking that was done back in the day, to help air cool the dealer-installed condenser/A/C system--the old York set-up. Just wondering if anyone else has ever seen this type of added ventilation! The holes nicely done, but not recommended!

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

• Like 1

BTW, assuming you have modernized the system ad have O ring fittings, they don't require excessive tightening. The O ring does the sealing.

How tight?

Tight enough!

:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

13 hours ago, BritshIron said:

Scottjeffrey, It's sort of hard to photograph with the car now buttoned up, but the condenser is pretty much in the same plane as the radiator. Vertical, but don't use a plumb-bob!

I'll be back into the engine later this month. One thing I'm going to do is change the location of the dryer, to a cooler spot in the engine bay (maybe just under the air intake and forward of the washer bottle, on the right, front bulkhead). I'm also going to re-route the hose coming out of the expansion valve/evaporator to allow it to run along the scuttle (oops, firewall) and then along the right side of the engine bay to the dryer. I don't like the hose going over the top of the engine, as shown. 

I'm trying for Ray's -12 Fahrenheit at idle, or was that Centigrade? Good luck! Robert

PS. Can you all see the six, roughly two inch holes drilled right along the bottom of the front valence? I'm thinking that was done back in the day, to help air cool the dealer-installed condenser/A/C system--the old York set-up. Just wondering if anyone else has ever seen this type of added ventilation! The holes nicely done, but not recommended!

IMG_2606.jpg

Robert,

I’ve seen a few small holes drilled in front lower valances either to drain water — which collects in the panel when the factory drains clog — or to retrieve stuff — nuts and bolts, generally — that has fallen down into the crevice. But I’ve never seen six enormous holes like you have! You’ve really got some improved air flow!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)