• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better performance from Weber 32/36 or FI swap?

Mucci

1 hour ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

I believe some may have done that with some Mikuni's ( or was that carbs...?)but I could be mistaken

Kinda like this to keep the carb guys from barfiing all over your EFI

https://foxinjection.com/products/heritage-throttle-body

Carb guys will wonder how you got 10hp more out the the sidedrafts!

Edited by jimk
  • Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

1 hour ago, jimk said:

Kinda like this to keep the carb guys from barfiing all over your EFI

https://foxinjection.com/products/heritage-throttle-body

Carb guys will wonder how you got 10hp more out the the sidedrafts!

Sort of reminds me of the Retroject throttle body that should fit as a bolt on replacement for a Weber, 38/38.  

http://www.webcon.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=15299

Just doesn't have the hardware to make it look like a carb like the Fox does....

The retroject was posted here  a couple of years ago, but it doesn't seem anyone has given it a try. One person in the UK couldn't get it running right.

http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10400

But really can't find much more about successful installs, etc....

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

1 hour ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

One person in the UK couldn't get it running right.

If the guy had a decent ecu and some tuning knowledge, there is no reason why not because the unit is nothing more than an air valve, some injectors and a tps sensor.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

21 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Mucci are you contemplating adapting some Motorcycle throttle bodies for the 02? I believe some may have done that with some Mikuni's ( or was that carbs...?)but I could be mistaken. I would think that would be pretty neat however. 

I have absolutely limited engine knowledge. But wouldn't a lot of the work be creating/adapting the fuel rail, throttle linkage Adding and adapting sensors, the harnesses, adjusting timing, and customizing your ECM while on the dyno? 

I think some would pay for the "kit" to reduce amount of time and effort on their part, which they would be willing to pay for. 

Keep us posted on what you decide to do and your results. 

I am a guy that can only afford a carburetor right now, but would love the ease and convenience of EFI

Cheers! 

I haven't made any decisions yet, I was just referring to what they did in that video above; using the Hyabusa 1300 throttle bodies. They, like almost all motorcycle throttle operations, are cable driven, so not much work adapting that aside from a simple bracket to route it. They also have the fuel rail and TPS built into the bank:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.de715c23353b510a4bd07f938bf50fa5.jpg

A set up like that, including the injectors, rail, TPS, and linkage goes for $150-200 on ebay in good condition. Looks like the injectors are 24# so would be a good match for a 160hp 4cyl setup. 

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

On 8/5/2018 at 3:14 PM, Mucci said:

Performance is the only criteria here.

Well maybe the 123 Distributor with either a 32/36 or 38/38 would be a good start on the stock engine.  The people with AFR gauges seem to be able to tune them pretty well.  

As this thread shows, there are a lot of directions to go.  More now than ever.  That Datsun video was really interesting.  Basically retrofitting the technology a new car would have.  I agree that the benefit is not all in the rwhp.  It probably drives great in all temps and conditions now. 

Scott

Edited by saaron

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI