• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KW Coilovers For The 2002

AceAndrew

Lorin,

Excellent concept and execution of the “Quote” feature, but...

...Please refer back to “my perches are long gone.”

I grinded them off when I converted to coilovers. 

COOP

Edited by COOP

Lorin was pointing out that since the KW shocks are threaded already you just need to add some KW spring perches and suitable springs and there you have it, coilovers ready. Not that much engineering required.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

To share some knowledge...

When we get to the big levels in suspension, the dampers in particular are whatever you want them to be.  I use them to create the ride the customer is looking for- which is why internal tune-ability is important to me.  If a person wanted really nice dampers (a la Ohlins or MCS, Motons, KW RACE stuff, whatever) and wanted to use them on the street, absolutely you can (a suspension tuner can) change the valving internally to work for that application. (Is it a good use of your money?  That's up to you.)  Same thing with the springs- going to something that can use a 'regular' spring with straight dimensions (5" diameter, 8" long, or 2.5" diameter) makes it easier to tune the ride...  What you start getting into though is a lot of time and effort to tune it exactly as you want.  In reality, I think most people don't want to spend the time nor the money and just want it to work good right out of the box.  I'm sure these KW V3 guys would be really nice and probably work great right out of the box- and I'm super excited that more companies are creating stuff to help us enjoy our cars.  (Just don't bring them to me in 5 years and ask if I can add something to deal with the 600 lb spring you want to run because you've added legitimate downforce. :smiley face emoji:)

P.S.  All of the major suspension manufacturers make both street and race set ups.  KW, Ohlins, MCS, Moton, Multimatic, Penske.  I have some Ohlins road and track shocks on one car, and am getting the MCS street shocks for my 2002- which is their 2 way, non remote shocks from the other thread.

P.P.S.  Anecdotal; I'm currently running around on clapped out Billy HDs with the Eibach prokit progressive springs with ST bars and dead bushings.  Can I feel the dead shocks?  Yep.  Does it make it 'interesting' to drive?  Yep.  Sure, it's fun to bomb around- the whole thing moves around.  Whatever, it's great.  Is it going to ride differently once I go through the suspension- new bushings, new shocks, linear springs, proper mounting hardware?  Yep.  Will that make me more happy to drive my car?  It will.  So that's what I'm going to do.  Some people are sensitive to all of this, some to none of it.  If you're in the latter category, count your blessings and ignore all of this and keep on keeping on. :peace sign emoji:

• Thanks 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

15 hours ago, COOP said:

Lorin,

Excellent concept and execution of the “Quote” feature, but...

...Please refer back to “my perches are long gone.”

I grinded them off when I converted to coilovers. 

COOP

I appreciate the acknowledgment of my internet forum prowess, but...

...Please refer back to the post i quoted from Andrew pointing out that the rear

shock bodies are threaded thus making them coilover capable.

See also Tommy's post spelling out exactly what i was trying to convey.

Edited by Lorin

Lorin...I’m not nearly as knowledgeable as many, but the issue I’m having here with understanding is that I don’t have lower perches anymore and don’t have any intention of re-welding any on. I get that the KW unit can be configured to work as a coilover if a perch is installed, but want a conventional CO mounting setup, as I have with my current, older, IE system.

COOP

D/A dampers etc. These are super nice!

I've had two different AST systems on my old e30, and I have TC Kline D/A Koni-based coils on my e36.

At this stage, my 2002 project is on Billies and IE Stage 2 springs, but I'm super tempted by the KW stuff. I've driven other cars (BRZ, for instance) on KWs and they worked great!

D/A setup can take some time to get right, but once you do ... wOOt!!!

• Like 1

Lol, “unusual,” you’re cute Lorin. I don’t believe it’s actually that unconventional, just doesn’t have the OEM perch. I’ve been meaning to take some pics but have just been busy. I’ll get around to it!

COOP

Edited by COOP

OK, cool, sorry to be dumb...the whole “perches” thing just threw me off.

I believe my current set up is exactly the same as the IE one in the old thread above. As I said, the car handles great but if I could have equal or superior handling with more compliance and less noise (rattling, jangling, etc), that would be ideal.

COOP