• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 1600 with black roof coating

KJ1600

That is most definitely truck-bed-liner, and it looks to be of the DIY variety.

Most of that cheap DIY stuff is a mess to take off, but can be done with solvents, but what you find underneath might dictate having your car sent to a paint shop for a re-spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or...it’s simply “splatter-finish” paint, as was used on seat recliners, ca. 1973. The first photo below is an original 1973 Recaro recliner. The second photo is a re-painted 1973 recliner.  The BMW recliners had the same finish; I just couldn’t find a photo.

I may have not been exposed to enough in the 1970’s, but I don’t remember “truck bed liner” even being available. You bought your truck. The bed got scratched, dented, and rusty. And that’s about it!  ?

Later...people started buying trucks in lieu of cars, and scratches were frowned upon. So truck bed liner was invented. ?

Regards,

Steve

1C54E076-E602-4594-8967-B93AFE8963C2.jpeg

6782A698-0D88-4232-A359-AB0D47B899E6.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Did a little at-the-bar googling on Herculiner removal. Pretty much everything mentions brake fluid or aircraft stripper.... so.... leave it, or it’s time to start thinking about a re-spray because whatever it takes to remove it is taking everything under it, with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! It’s definitely coming off. The whole car needs to be painted anyways so it’s totally worth it. Most of it looks painted on but parts are actually glued on. It’s very strange, and ugly. 

• Like 1