• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One piece euro dash in US 73tii?

6 minutes ago, infanterene` said:

To confirm- if I tuck my bumpers with 72 or earlier brackets I will complete the conversion? My bumpers are slightly bent but I am confident they can be saved. Can I add the euro  tag lights to my rear bumper and fill in the us ones?

To make your rear bumper a “Euro-bumper”:

1.  Either (a.) replace the center section with a Euro center section (it has two holes in the top surface for the license plate illumination), or (b.) cut two holes for the license plate illumination in top of your U.S. bumper;

2.  Replace the U.S.-only “2 1/2-mph bumper brackets” with the pre-1973 brackets;

3.  Jettison the two rear bumper overriders and replace them with chromed seam covers; and

4.  Replace your U.S.-spec license plate illumination with the long Euro license plate holder.

To make your front bumper a “Euro-bumper”, assuming your car retains its original pointy “‘73-only” overriders:

1.  Replace the U.S.-only “2 1/2-mph bumper brackets” with the pre-1973 brackets.

Unless your restoration is focused on 100% originality, doing this bumper modification will not diminish the car’s value — and may well increase its value.

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

To make your rear bumper a “Euro-bumper”:

1.  Either (a.) replace the center section with a Euro center section (it has two holes in the top surface for the license plate illumination), or (b.) cut two holes for the license plate illumination in top of your U.S. bumper;

2.  Replace the U.S.-only “2 1/2-mph bumper brackets” with the pre-1973 brackets;

3.  Jettison the two rear bumper overriders and replace them with chromed seam covers; and

4.  Replace your U.S.-spec license plate illumination with the long Euro license plate holder.

You end up with a black bump strip with holes, right?  So, you've also got to replace the bump strip too.

• Thanks 1

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

...Or you could use black plastic body plugs to fill the holes...not as elegant but certainly cheaper!! Also, I think the rubber strip is currently NLA. Don't worry, it'll be back in two years for 500 bucks:D

Bob

• Like 1

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

3 hours ago, bob02 said:

...Or you could use black plastic body plugs to fill the holes...not as elegant but certainly cheaper!! Also, I think the rubber strip is currently NLA. Don't worry, it'll be back in two years for 500 bucks:D

Bob

Guess I'll hold onto the one in my garage.

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Here's what the back looks like when you're done.  

Some folks drill mounting holes for the euro lights in a US center section, instead of using the euro center bumper section - the lights are pretty far apart on the euro version, because the plates were wider (I suppose they still are).  People say it lights the US plate up better if you move the holes closer together vs. using the euro configuration.  

Just something to think about.  

Scott

IMG_2683.JPG

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

6 hours ago, bob02 said:

To confirm, the US strip (which doesn't show as "ended" on realoem) comes with holes, right?

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

The pn for the US strip is 51121815604 and the Euro strip is 51121814696.  I was always under the impression that the were the same, and for US cars, one would simply drill the holes for the over riders. learn something new every day:D! Looks like both are NLA.

Bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

1 hour ago, bob02 said:

The pn for the US strip is 51121815604 and the Euro strip is 51121814696.  I was always under the impression that the were the same, and for US cars, one would simply drill the holes for the over riders. learn something new every day:D! Looks like both are NLA.

Bob

Well then. You were always wrong!

:D

• Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.