• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Automatic radiator - re-core time?

mosman58

It's the conditions on the inside of the rad that usually determine if a recore is needed, the bent fins in your picture can be straightened at least some what with a pair of needle nose pliers used gently to put the fins more or less into the original shape.    

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I used a small flat head screw driver to bend the fins back on mine, almost looks like new again with a light coat of black heatresistant paint. Takes some patience though.

As for the condition of the core itself, That depends on the condition of the inside. You can let a local repair shop pressure test it and see what the results are. Might as well ask them to add a drainplug..

you don't mention the history of the radiator.  So, assuming it's been benignly neglected for a while, and from the looks of it it has, I'd re-core it.  Be sure to get a 3 row core that fits in the space of a 2 row core.  I'd also coolant flush the engine first to get rid of the foreign object debris before installing your "new" radiator 

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

11 hours ago, mosman58 said:

thanks - I live in Austin so it gets hot here - plus the ac will put the radiator to the test. Will get it done as it looks like new ones are not available for automatics.

@masman58 , you live in Austin?  I don't recognize the handle, have you been out to one of our Austin BMW 2002 Cars and Coffee events?  

Greg Resa

• Like 1

"To my way of thinking, the 2002 is one of modern civilization's all-time best ways to get somewhere sitting down. - Car and Driver Magazine April,1968