• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing chain piston bolt stuck

Rastadog

Hi, I’m hoping for suggestions. I’m trying to take the head off a motor in my basement. The timing chain tensioner piston bolt is frozen. Should I just use more force, leverage, to break it,  Penetrating fluid, hammer whacks,covert witchcraft? After the exhaust manifold bolt battle this should be easier. Thanks in advance. Alex

77F70CA2-8CF8-4E7E-954A-793E571979EC.jpeg

Rastadog ( Alex) 73 Tii, 2018 VW GTI with 3 pedals.

IIRC the bolt is steel and it screws into aluminum so you don't want to apply too much force.  If there's corrosion you might strip the aluminum threads while backing the bolt out.  It's unusual for that bolt to be that stuck.

Have you tried cleaning the surrounding area thoroughly and heat the aluminum housing with a propane torch? Aluminum expands much faster than steel, so that may break loose any corrosive (or Locktite) bond that's holding the two together.  

Have a soaking wet rag handy in case some of the oily grunge on the engine starts to burn.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

You can break that with too much force as Mike said heat it with a propane torch and then hit it with pb blaster and it should let go with a lot less force.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Thank you all! I’m going to PB blast first. If that doesn’t work I’ll use heat. The socket is a good 6 pointer and fits tight. There isn’t a lot of leverage with the 3/8 socket. I just remembered that there is a long handle 19 mm wrench in the tool box. I’ll try that too.

Is it possible to get the timing chain pulley off with the tensioner in place? Thanks again. Alex

Rastadog ( Alex) 73 Tii, 2018 VW GTI with 3 pedals.