• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'76 Automatic radiator drain plug location and procedures

mosman58

You might not have one. The factory location is a small plug located in the middle of the bottom tank, facing the engine compartment. 

If not, the pull the bottom hose to drain the rad and the block plug to drain the plug. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I have a 76 automatic and it's in the same place as Joesprocket described.  Lower left side if your looking from the front of the 02.  Its a bit of a booger to get to!

Edited by Big_Lebowski
spelling

"To my way of thinking, the 2002 is one of modern civilization's all-time best ways to get somewhere sitting down. - Car and Driver Magazine April,1968 

Just now, Big_Lebowski said:

I have a 76 automatic and it's in the same place as Joesrocket described.  Lower left side if your looking from the front of the 02.  Its a bit of a booger to get to!

It is so much easier just to pop off the hose. 

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

1 minute ago, Dudeland said:

It is so much easier just to pop off the hose. 

First time I drained it from the plug as described.  I recently replaced my thermostat and popped the hose.  :D

"To my way of thinking, the 2002 is one of modern civilization's all-time best ways to get somewhere sitting down. - Car and Driver Magazine April,1968 

2 hours ago, mosman58 said:

Thanks

to remove the radiator, I will have disconnect the transmission oil lines as well?

To remove the radiator you will need to disconnect all water hoses & transmission lines.  If you're only planning to drain the coolant from the radiator then there is no need to disconnect the transmission lines.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

1 hour ago, mosman58 said:

Thanks for the clarification

I’m replacing my Behr AC and needed to remove all of the existing AC. Was hoping not to remove the radiator but to replace the condenser etc looks like the radiator will have to come out - very tight in that space

I am about to put in Behr AC in my car.  What are you replacing in yours?  I have a Sanden compressor, hose kit, condenser and fan with a Hobidedave bracket. 

What size is your condenser? Have you tested the evaporator? if so how?

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002