• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will the Front and rear subframes from a 2002 mate to a 68 1600?

Dionk

Yes, 1600-2’s and 2002’s use the same subframes.

The original rear subframe on that ‘68 will be for a long-neck differential, however, whereas the rear subframe from the ‘71 2002 will be designed for the much more common short-neck differential.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 4 years later...

New question for an old thread.  I have a 1976 donor front and rear subframe that I would like to install into a nice 1968 body.  Looks like the subframes are the same from previous posts.  Does using a '76 short-nosed diff in the '68 just require a different driveshaft or is there something else I am missing?  Many thanks in advance? 

Yes.  Body attachment and relevant body dimensions are the same for all years, 1600-2 and 2002.  So, front and rear subframes can interchange among cars as desired.  Rear subframes were different depending on the diff- early version is used for the long neck diff, late version for the short neck diff.  Driveshaft length is different to match the diff

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

… Does using a '76 short-nosed diff in the '68 just require a different driveshaft or is there something else I am missing?…

That short-nose differential from the ‘76 will require the rear subframe from the ‘76, or any short-nose rear subframe (the changeover from long-nose to short-nose was in January 1969). You’ll want to use the half-axles from your ‘76, rear brakes, etc.

I just want to insert that, someday — although not today — a first-year 1968 2002 will be the Holy Grail for ‘02 collectors, kind of like 1964 911’s are today. At that time, you’ll be wishing you had kept that enormous long-neck differential and its early subframe. Just saying… 😉

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks everyone!  Great information.  Steve - good advice! I wish I could keep the long nose diff, but all my resto parts and drive train was stolen from a body shop years ago.  I all I have is the body shell with hood, trunk and doors.  I will keep an eye out for a long nose diff and carrier.   Best, Tim

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Thanks everyone!  Great information.  Steve - good advice! I wish I could keep the long nose diff, but all my resto parts and drive train was stolen from a body shop years ago.  I all I have is the body shell with hood, trunk and doors.  I will keep an eye out for a long nose diff and carrier.   Best, Tim

@danco_ can help you with the Long nose parts.........

• Haha 1