• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sharing PPI to save others' time?

M5280RCR

Price: $1

Description:

Over the past 2 weeks I spent several hours tracking down a seller, talking to them, talking to mechanics and ultimately spent a couple of  hundred dollars on a PPI for a 2002.  Long and short of it, this particular car is not worth purchasing (even for 50% of the asking price, unless you can do paint and mechanical work yourself).

I am conflicted as to whether or not it is good mojo to share specific information with others on this website (such as the car and advertisement), so as to be able to save other forum members the time and effort I have already put into investigating this particular car.  I don't think my comments would expose me to libel or slander (defamation) because the facts are the truth; but I am conflicted in potentially poisoning the seller's ability to move the car Vs. saving people here time and effort who have helped me through my search for a car.

What are your thoughts, or what would you do in this case?

PS,  The seller's add is pretty honest (pointing out a lot of what the mechanic found, though not all).  But the extent of things like rust and engine issues may not be fully understood by the seller.  I think they a good person and I am conflicted as to what is the right thing to do.  I appreciate your thoughts.

Edited by M5280RCR

'73 Riviera Tii

'93 M5 Dinan stroker, etc...

'08 M3 ESS 625 s/c'er, etc..

'64 Stingray

Buyer beware comment is a good red flag. Many other forum members have checked out cars before and reported their findings.

I have crawled in and under some 2002's that are not worth a tinkers darn then they are sold the next week to someone else.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I think in a community of 02 enthusiasts like this forum, it is appropriate to share information.  I have bought several cars long distance sight unseen based on PPI by a reputable independent service shop.  By sharing your information, you might save somebody else the wasted time and money of chasing a car that has serious issues.

A few months back I went to look at a local E31 850 6 speed that was being auctioned on BAT.  There was lots not right about the car, much of which was not shared in the auction description.  In hind sight I wish I had posted my observations but at the time I did not want to be the guy to  "throw shade" on somebody's auction.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys.  The car in question is Colorado Orange in SoCal.  Per the PPI I had done, it was suggested I walk away.  Again, if one can do clutch, engine and paint at cost, it could be a find.

'73 Riviera Tii

'93 M5 Dinan stroker, etc...

'08 M3 ESS 625 s/c'er, etc..

'64 Stingray

38 minutes ago, jb02 said:

I saw this ad too after M5280RCR mentioned colorado orange in So. Cal. Since the ad mentions this car having been restored in Dallas, I was wondering if this is a car done by Select Classics, discussed elsewhere here on FAQ. 

Correct. It was a "Select Classics" car. They moved it on about a year ago.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

23 hours ago, M5280RCR said:

it could be a find.

Here's a find, sell the extra parts, convert it to a 5 speed, paint and interior and still have money left over from your $15K budget, sell it on for $25K when you are done.

Mark92131

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/1972-bmw-2002-barn-find/6390084409.html

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

2 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

Here's a find, sell the extra parts, convert it to a 5 speed, paint and interior and still have money left over from your $15K budget, sell it on for $25K when you are done.

Mark92131

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/1972-bmw-2002-barn-find/6390084409.html

That's a nice project!

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.