• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pressure and temperatures adapters

Jvaz

Hello

im considering adding an oil pressure and temperature gauges, I was looking for an adapter to put on the Distributor in the stock location.

I found one made by Parker Performace but I think he is out of business.

is there another source for this type of adapters?

thank you

jV

VDO make them plus there are generic parts around. Make sure you get the right thread to match your current oil pressure switch. 

Taking the oil temperature in that location may not be that meaningful as it will just read the temperature of the cylinder head rather than the oil itself. Probably better taking it from the sump or from the oil filter housing (this needs drilling and tapping unless you have a filter housing from a later model (S14?)

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I got this to make it easier to put the sensor in for oil pressure.  It is a banjo fitting that goes in where the idiot light goes so that the sensor will fit.  VDO makes two oil pressure gauge kits. One with imperial adapters, one with metric.  the metric part number is below. 

VDO 350-1042 Vision Black Oil Pressure Gauge Kit 80 psi 12V

Adapter

https://www.bavauto.com/240-043k

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

7 hours ago, Dudeland said:

VDO makes two oil pressure gauge kits. One with imperial adapters, one with metric.  the metric part number is below. 

VDO 350-1042 Vision Black Oil Pressure Gauge Kit 80 psi 12V

Strongly suggest you buy the 0-150 psi gauge and matching sender; an M10, running 20w-50 oil (which it likes) will peg a 150 psi gauge on a cold morning.  Even a coolish morning will peg an 80 psi gauge.

Also, the best place to measure oil temperature is at the filter.  If you look carefully at your filter housing (presuming you have a late '71 or later car) you'll notice a little dimple in the casting.  This is where, on a tii, the oil return line for the K-Fish injector pump is fastened.  You can drill out and tap this hole for a VDO oil temp sender pretty easily; then you won't have to worry about the sender wire falling off the drain plug.  

And mount the gauges where you can see 'em without taking your eyes off the road--like atop the dash (where the fasten seat belt sign goes) or on the package shelf next to the instrument binnacle.  Much better than the console.  

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Usually only when the pressure relief valve is sticky.

A 'new style' pump with a good relief valve usually stays below 100.

If it's going over 100, you are beating on the car when its oil is cold.

Operating is usually around 60 psi, hot, over 2k.

Now, the older pumps, those could peg a 150 psi gauge...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

35 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Now, the older pumps, those could peg a 150 psi gauge...

Both my '69 and '73 with their original pumps have pegged their 150 psi gauges on cold mornings, and that was after spending the night in a garage.  And the relief valves weren't sticking...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Are you sure they're not sticking, Mike?  They will stick when cold, then free as the car warms.  

Jenn's does that, now.  When the engine was fresh, it'd start and 'idle' at 1800, dead cold

(30's) and 10-40 Castrol (back when it had zinc) held 75- 80 psi.

And you could tell the regulator was working, because it'd maybe add 5 psi as the engine

went up towards 5k.

Then, after about 10 years, the cold pressure started creeping up a bit-

but telling was that, if you revved it, it'll head straight up to 100+.  After 

2 or 3 minutes, it drops a little, and a rev to 5k only bumps it 5 psi or so.

And won't go over 75- ish.

So, I  maintain, that on one that's not sticking, cold oil pressure seems to not get much over 80.  Ish.

I'm also basing this on the car that I raced, which got a new pump every time the engine was refreshed.

15-50 mobil 1, and it's not uncommon for the car to come off the trailer at 40f on an early morning

after towing to the track.

I think a lot of them stick to some degree.

But that's just my take on the matter.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL