• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

weber 32/36 throttle linkage

theluketaylor

Finally got some plates for my 2002 and took it out for a spin.  The throttle linkage popped lose 6 or 7 times while shifting into 2nd gear (or running 1st into higher revs).  It seemed to fit back in pretty firmly each time, but at the next roundabout the engine would lurch in lower gears and the linkage would pop right back out agin.  I limped the car over to a buddy's house and got a ride home, but I'm curious if others have experienced a similar issue.

I've added a picture with the linkage connection highlighted.  Since the car is parked at a friends I won't be able to add more pictures until tomorrow at the earliest.

I didn't see any obvious spot a cotter pin or similar would be positioned to hold everything in place.  Since it's a weber hanes isn't any help.  I'm sure it really doesn't help I'm rather unpracticed at manual transmissions and am quite jerky taking off from standstill, but I'm wondering if one of the motor mounts is broken and it's allowing the engine to move so much the linkage comes out.  This idea is largely based on the converstation over in this thread: 

throttle.png

The end of the linkage, the female hole, has or should have a round circlip type ring on the inside that when pushed over the ball on the piece that is on the carb...should hold it in place

The other end of the linkage that enters the firewall should be able to slide fwd and back a good inch plus as motor moves a bit

All this is theory because I am installing motor and carb and linkage next week?

Edited by worzella
Spelling

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

6 minutes ago, worzella said:

The end of the linkage, the female hole, has or should have a round circlip type ring on the inside that when pushed over the ball on the piece that is on the carb...should hold it in place

The other end of the linkage that enters the firewall should be able to slide fwd and back a good inch plus as motor moves a bit

I didn't spot anything obvious that could be connected to hold everything in place, but I'll take a look tomorrow.  It certainly seemed like there should be something extra 

A detailed picture of the linkage  would help.

Engine mountings may be a good guess.  Try and lift the engine by hand under the inlet manifold. Give it a good push and pull and watch the driver's side mounting underneath. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

If that piece of the linkage is popping off, your motor mounts and/or transmission mounts might be to blame. The linkage is pinned at the firewall and clips onto the carb. If the engine moves forward the clip can come off.

When I ran that type of linkage I always pinched the fork over the little bar so it could not come loose.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

The female ball end of the linkage, there is a cross bore on the outboard end. Through that hole should pass a wire clip, shaped somewhat like a "D". 

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2213&mospid=47140&btnr=35_0197&hg=35&fg=10

#16, while shown as "N/A" you can find a suitable part at most hardware stores in the nut/bolt section.