• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

torn CV joint boots

vairter

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone successfully used the shiny end caps that come with this new OEM BMW kit on a 2002?

The boot comes already Oetiker-clamped to the new end cap, so I would have to cut the clamp (and buy a new one) in order to transplant the boot to the original end cap.

The kit came with no instructions and some of the Hylomar jointing compound, so I'm wondering if I'm supposed to use some of the Hylomar compound to seal the new end cap to the CV joint housing.  Or if the new end cap, which is a loose fit, will seal sufficiently just with tightening of the 6 mounting bolts.  I saw an old thread from around 2006 where someone speculated that the new end caps have to be crimped in some way for proper installation.

Anybody know?

CV_joint_boot_kit_small.jpg

I've never used that style end cap [EDIT: Oops, actually I do, on my inboard 320i CV's], but think the 3 load-distributing plates would do a good job of holding the cap tight. But it couldn't hurt to do a very thin coating of hylomar if you wanted to. It generally stays tacky, so would not weld the cap on like some other sealants could, which could make that end cap difficult to remove when you repack the CV's again in 20 years:).

Did you get your star gears oriented correctly? Glad to see you took this on yourself. Best--Fred

Edited by FB73tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

That;s a kit for later E21 style cv's. See the bulges to let

the balls extend out of the smaller- style cage?

The stock straps will not work, there.

Willit work on a 2002?  I dunno, but the inner end cap won't, as the late style

e21 cv joint can't successfully bolt up to a 2002 flange- the late E21 flange

has room dished out for the end of the shaft, whereas the 2002 does not.

And I don't recall OD's exactly, but i think they're different.  Plus 10 mm holes.  Etc.

I'd mock everything up pretty darned carefully before I applied grease...

As to aftermarket boots failing, yes, the 'rubber' just fails.  Redline CV2 ate a set in yup, 5 years or so.

Even what I'd known as reputable aftermarket brands.

I started reusing the 40- year old OE boots, as they lasted a lot longer than the available replacements.

I don't think I ever sprang for BMW branded stuff, but I am getting more and more skeptical

of the parts that show up in the baggie with the Roundel sticker on it...  and no identifying markings on

the parts AT ALL as to where they came from...

When they came in a printed box, the parts inside

also had manufactured- in markings that gave some

reassurance that the parts were what you'd paid for.

t

not a fan of huge markups on crappy parts.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Toby--good points. I just measured two CV's--the 320i CV is roughly 100 mm in OD (99.89mm) all the way across, while the 2002 CV is 100 mm (100.00mm) for part of the body, but has a reduced OD of 98.13mm where the inner cap (the one associated with the axle) goes. Thus the 320i cap, if installed on a 2002 CV, will have a 1mm gap under it all the way around the outer radius, making it more likely that grease could escape.

Also, as you said, the 2002 locking plates are constant radius and made for 8mm bolts, while the 320i locking plates are curved to go around the cap bulges and are drilled for 10mm bolts.

With my 320i diff I use 320i CVs on the inside, the longer 320i axles, and 2002 CVs on the outside. Thus to replace the boots, I would need two 2002 boot kits (P/N 33219067911) and two 320i boot kits (P/N 33219067909). It looks like the OP ended up with a 320i boot kit.

NOTE: There are two different 320i CV joints. Must years are thin (in depth, not OD) and would require those bulges on the end cap, but the '79 CV is thicker and presumably would not require the bulges. My 320i CVs are of the thicker variety.

--Fred

Edited by FB73tii

--Fred

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Fred-

I ordered what you suggested in this thread back on July 20, which I took to be relevant for a 2002 with original CV joints (bad assumption on my part).  I thought that by "supersede" that you meant it was an upgraded part that would be functionally equivalent to the original 2002 CV joint boot.  My goal was to buy a BMW OEM part to get a boot with more durable rubber than some of the aftermarket boots (like the one that cracked on my car).  

I guess I'm in new territory here, without chance of refund, because I've already installed 2 of the boot+cap assemblies using the included Hylomar jointing compound.  I'm going to add an external bead of Permatex Black to see if I can make this incorrect part work.

If it still leaks, I guess I'll try transplanting the boot onto the original 2002 end caps and have another grease encounter.

Fred_CV_Joint_Advice.tiff

@vairter--please accept my apologies for posting the wrong part number (the one for the 320i boot vs the 2002 boot). I must have referenced my old notes (about 15 years ago when I rebuilt them) and not paid attention to the correct part number. The grease in the CV is not under pressure, so hopefully the RTV solution will work.

Did you modify your 2002 locking straps so they would work with the bulged cap? I am happy to look through my parts bin and see if I can come up with six 320i-style straps and send them to you at no charge. I think with straps and sealant just on the end of the cap (not even the sides), you should not have trouble with leaking grease.

On the other hand, you still have the original 2002 caps, correct? I am not sure what your old clamps are like, I always re-used my old ones. They were like a thin metal belt--insert tab through correct hole, pull tight with pliers and then bend back over. Or you could use zip ties for now until you make another parts order (to save on shipping).

Again, sorry for wrong part number. --Fred

--Fred

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Fred-

No worries.  Willing to give Permatex a shot.  Not so enthused about modifying the bolt straps.

Maybe we'll hatch a new way of replacing 2002 boots with OEM parts.

Or not, in which case I'll try grafting the OEM 320i boot onto the 2002 end cap.  I don't know if the sizes are compatible.  Has anyone tried this?

I just did a quick measurement and was surprised to find that the 320I boot large diameter side seems to be larger than the 2002 diameter. But this is installed and under the car and hard to get an accurate measurement. You can compare your old 2002 cap and the new 320i cap--let us know what you find.

If you need the 320i bolt straps just e/m me your address and they are on the way.

IMG_1218.thumb.jpg.fe8b21da11a8b4c574d787c7573569fa.jpg

--Fred

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Fred-

Thanks for the generous offer of the 320i straps, but I'm actually going to need a total of 12 of them to do all 4 CV joints.

Does anyone know the part number for the straps and whether they're still available new anywhere?

Terry

Fred-

What comes with the OEM 33-21-9-067-911 bellows repair kit that is appropriate for the 2002?

Is it just the boot, clamps, and grease?  Or do they also include new end caps and Hylomar sealant (like the 33-21-9-067-909 kit that I purchased in error and showed in earlier pictures)?

The "911" kit is still pretty expensive, around $50.

I have found that different suppliers include different parts with the kit. Not sure what all BMW includes.

If you have not used REALOEM, it is a great site that allows you to look up any BMW by model, year, and other options and gives nearly all factory part numbers. I say nearly all because sometime they don't list NLA parts, but usually they do.

Here's an example link to a 1973 BMW 2002 rear axle:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=ST12-USA-01-1973-114-BMW-2002&diagId=33_0881

One would think the repair kit bellows (#8 in the diagram) would include everything shown, but I can't verify that.

Here's an example link to a1978 E21 320i rear axle:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=3173-USA-10-1978-E21-BMW-320i&diagId=33_0479

Three different parts number for the  320i "reinforcement strap" (#2) are shown, two of which are NLA:

02 Reinforcement D=10,2MM/ZN X 09/1978   33211225736 $1.52   ENDED
02 Reinforcement D=10MM ZNS X 09/1978   26117501271 $2.35   ENDED
02 Reinforcement D=10MM ZNS3 X 09/1978   33207572717 $2.57

The last part number, shown as still available, looks a bit different than what I have and aftermarket suppliers charge too much for them, like $5+/each. I am sure there are folks on the FAQ that have extras they would part with. I've got 6 for you, my other 6 are in use. Or do a junkyard dive on an E21 320i. 

According to bmwpartsdirect, there are many models of BMW those straps can be salvaged from:

https://www.bmwdirectparts.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=33211225736

Axle Assembly Reinforcement
Part Number: 33-20-7-572-717
Positions: Left, Right
Other Names: Reinforcement, Axle Assembly Reinforced Plate, Reinforcement 331060
Replaces: 33-21-1-225-736, 33-21-1-207-381, 26-11-7-501-271
Description: Sedan, 525i, 528i, 530i. 323, 325 & 328. 740iL & 740i. Without M3. Z3, 2.8L. Z3, 2.5L. Sedan, 2.5l, 3.0l. Convert new style,. 2001-05... More
Notes: Order By Year, Model, And Description.
Fits: BMW: 318i, 318is, 323Ci, 323i, 323is, 325Ci, 325i, 325is, 325xi, 328i, 328is, 330Ci, 330i, 330xi, 525i, 525xi, 528i, 528i xDrive, 528xi, 530i, 530xi, 535i, 535i xDrive, 535xi, 740i, 740iL, X3, X5, X6, Z3, Z4

--Fred

Edited by FB73tii
  • Like 1

--Fred

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)