• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

single 45 DCOE on a Lynx mani, about to throw in the towel!

I have to admit that I'm not versed on float level tuning. I do know it's important and changing float levels has a big influence on tuning. Think of the location of the holes in the emulation tubes and the fuel level. 

So so just so I'm sure, your not able to get any high end power. 

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

There are a few different reasons why the float level must be right, and they're all to do with how the main circuit works. If it's too high, it'll overflow and bog the engine, if it's too low, it will feed the idle circuit, but starve the main. The rule of thumb I was taught is 1/16" change in float level is ~1 jet size either way.

'69 Porsche 912 "Schatzi"

'74 BMW 2002Tii "Sabine"

3 hours ago, inquisitive said:

The towel has been thrown in and Steve Dinan is working on the car :). Already working on convicing me to go dual 45's! 

We'll see.

Don't give up! I just started up this Metric Mechanics motor with a single 45dcoe Lynx two weekends ago and am having a hell of a time getting it to a smooth idle. I came here searching for the same thing you are. I'll take some videos of how my car is running and start looking into jets, venturis, etc. so you have a comparison. Overall, I'd say the M10 feels pretty good. A little stutter @ around 2K RPM in lower gears, and can't get a smooth idle... Only two problems I'm trying to fix. I know my idle jets are off because they require 3 full turns out before it's even drivable.

-Ryan

594c97bd2994b_2002m10.thumb.jpg.d387eaef006d3993de01796198699f1f.jpg

Steve Dinan is working on the car :)

He remembers what a carb is?  I suspect that man has forgotten

more about ignition map tuning than I ever knew about cars...

Do get him to get it working right.  Because going to dual sidedrafts is just so anticlimactic at this point!

t

who will buy the thing just to find out what's wrong with it!
(like those hosenozzle main jets, for starters)

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

29 minutes ago, TobyB said:

who will buy the thing just to find out what's wrong with it!

Don't think I haven't thought about it...

'69 Porsche 912 "Schatzi"

'74 BMW 2002Tii "Sabine"

Super late now, but a little more food for thought...

Often a rich condition will come across as a burble and lean will bog- just fall on it's face.

And then realizing that idle and small throttle is the idle jet and the mixture screw (primarily.  Different carbs have different stuff- this is in general.)

As we get past about 1/4 throttle the needle starts to dictate what's going on...  So if it's really great at idle and small openings and great at wide open, but bogs in the middle a bit, then maybe the needle needs to go up a bit.

Past halfway is the main jet.  Something to remember is that the slow / idle jet is on all the time- so do that one first as it effects everything all the time.

Again, this is an in general- and a lot of carbs have more parts than this- squirt jets... so there can be more tuning...  but just food for thought.

Good luck OP.

Dave.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

8 hours ago, TobyB said:

Thats where my dollar sits. 

There re is no reason this setup will not work. 

John

As we get past about 1/4 throttle the needle starts to dictate what's going on

Not if we have DCOEs.  If we have DCOEs and they are set up properly,

the needle affects only idle, the 'idle' jet affects small throttle openings and lower flow- the 'transition' phase-

and the mains kick in "sometime later" which is determined by velocity through

the venturi.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

and the mains kick in "sometime later" which is determined by velocity through

the venturi.

And thats determined by the size of the chokes.

John

15 hours ago, bitbckt said:

Don't think I haven't thought about it...

The mains or Toby's offer? :P

Leaning out the mains is what got my DCOE setup running like a champ. Don't give up! But no shame in taking it to someone who knows what they're doing too.

I did, and was all the happier having a car I can enjoy now vs. later when I figure it out on my own.

Well, thank you all for your input. The car is being converted a dual DCOE setup.

I am looking forward to having a functional ripper of a car when I get it back. I've owned it for over 2 months and have yet to really enjoy it. 

Some may say anti-climactic, but I figure I'd rather have the little M10 be the best it can be. I'll keep you all posted! 

-Art 

www.instagram.com/drivingwhileawesome

Sorry, I am getting into this discussion really late (I only monitor the group weekly). I had the single sidedraft/lynx setup and managed to get it running fairly well. If you move to dual DCOEs, you will have similar problems. If you are still working with the Lynx setup, let me know- I may be able to help.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga