• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sunroof felt install question

mvliotta

Hi '02 land,

After reading some posts on sunroof felt installs, not clear whether you MUST remove sunroof to install the front and back felt strips.

Understand that the front felt should be attached to the car and the back felt attached to the roof. Can you (should you) try with sunroof panel in place? If I need to take out the panel, do you have a link would you recommend so that I don't botch it?

Thanks!!

Vince

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

You can install the front and side weatherstrip section (one piece) by simply cranking the sunroof all the way open.  Use contact cement or weatherstrip adhesive to hold it in place, and don't forget to wrap an inch or so down behind the side ends to insure a tight seal between the side piece and the back piece.  

The rear weatherstrip is glued directly to the sunroof panel itself, so that must come out.  If you can't find instructions for removal and replacement on the FAQ, drop me a PM; I did a how-to column on that very subject and will be happy to send you a copy.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Have to remove the sunroof panel to install the rear seal to the panel. Take photos as you go. search mytii.com, though Keith installed the rear seal incorrectly on the roof panel.

Wind the sunroof rearward, pry down on the leading edge headliner, held by 4 clips, push the headliner rearward.

Remove the 4 Phillips head screws at the front of the panel, note where the glide is located and its orientation.

Wind panel forward a little and remove the screws holding the cables to the panel.

Lift out panel.

Installation is the reverse of removal.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40