• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car won't run

kprocyk

Folks,

looking for for a little help. My stock '76 2002 was running fine last year, but now will start but won't run. I have installed a new BMW fuel pump, and changed the lines from the firewall to the carb. If I pour some gas into the carb it runs and then stalls out. If I put my hand over the carb throat I feel suction, and it will start but as soon as I move my hand it dies. Carb is the stock '76  Solex. There is gas in the tank, I will check the fuel pick-up screen in the tank this weekend. Could the float be stuck or a jet clogged?

Any helps suggestions or tips please send my way, I won't to get her back on the road for summer.

thanks,

kris

Check the short length of fuel line back by the gas tank--the one that connects the pickup unit to the plastic fuel line.  If it's the original cloth-covered line, replace it with US-style rubber fuel line.  The cloth covering on the OEM lines will cover cracks in the rubber hose beneath; a mechanical fuel pump would much rather suck air than gas, so the smallest air leak on the upstream side of the pump will cause it to suck mostly air, not gas.  

And of course you did check to see if you have spark--a nice, fat blue one, not a little wimpy yellow one--at the plugs...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Check that the coming and going fuel lines are correct at the pump. Then detach the fuel line at the carb, put it in a bottle and start. Then you know for sure if you're getting fuel or not.

If not - one thing to check is that is the length of the fuel pump actuating rod correct for the pump. There has been different length rods, different thickness bakelite spacers and different kind of pumps.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Three basic things are needed for any four-cycle engine to run - spark, fuel, compression. I would check for spark first and look at the condition of the points too. You could have a weak spark but badly oxidized points that are preventing it from running. Do you have a compression gauge? An experienced ear can usually tell if it's got at least some compression. With no compression it will sound like a sewing machine will cranking it over. Of course, since you said it starts, but won't keep running it's probably not the compression. Key word = probably. Personally, I'd take the top of the carb off and have a look-see inside. You could also remove the plugs and see what they look like. If they are bone dry, it's probably not getting gas. Soaking wet = flooded.