• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My diff is stuck

Naz

I'm trying to pull the diff out and it appears that in d043993c2b0743894ab2599e0a933090.jpgorder to clear the tunnel in the subframe I have to remove this flange.

Is there a trick to getting this off? Is the thread of the bolt to the left or right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never mind..a little heat and wd40 and she moved. Got the nut off. I'm guessing I have to use a 3 prong puller the rest of the way.

I don't know why that needs to come off - I seem to remember mine sliding out intact.

Is it possibly your subframe is a later one? It doesn't make sense to me either that the flange would be installed after the diff went in at the factory. It makes all the sense in the world that it should slide in and out intact.

I got back under and took some pics. It looks like it does fit. I didn't see the opening until i used a flash and took this pic. The flange has to be in the right position to slide through. One connector straight up and he other two straight down to make the pass. Duh...

I'll try it later after I eat a bowl of wheaties so I can muscle out this boat anchor.

Once this is out I'm pretty much out of things to remove. The rear bushings all look good so I'm leaving the rear subframe in.

8ccd90c1755d9c10c99d260c953fe73b.jpgb1dea2e6678d4c73ede14eb9f4556120.jpg

The Blue Books show this with one flange straight up to remove but not sure if long vs. short neck is different.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

23 minutes ago, Naz said:

Ok..this is not coming out with that flange attached. Grrr

ee0f9d95c91cfff3c84e168603c50226.jpg

You have the nut off- do you have a puller?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I could remove the flange but I'm convinced that this shouldn't have to come off. I think this mount is hindering my ability as I need to come straight out and this thing is making me lean the diff downward.

fc769fb76bfda1447c3c5c2524aec344.jpg