• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 2002 I'm restoring rear CV conundrum any ideas what's going on

As it says in the title I have an odd rear axle CV on the passenger side of the 1968 car I'm restoring , just got the boots in, ready to clean up the axles & check everything out when I noticed the different axle. Does anyone know what we have  or should I swap out the whole side ?

Any help gratefully received.

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

That's the original halfshaft for your 68, u-joint at the diff and sliding joint/pin/needle bearings on the outer.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Thanks Chris ,  so the best bet is to get a later axle for the drivers side ?

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

The driver's side is the  early 6-bolt asymmetric CV joint.  The passenger looks like a the roller bearing joint on the really early cars.  I am guessing that you'll find it hard to repair the right side joint and replacing it with a CV joint like the left side would be the best route.  

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

2 minutes ago, LimeySteve said:

Thanks Chris ,  so the best bet is to get a later axle for the drivers side ?

If RHD yes. If LHD update the pass side to newer style axle with standard CV joints.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

1 minute ago, halboyles said:

The driver's side is the  early 6-bolt asymmetric CV joint.  The passenger looks like a the roller bearing joint on the really early cars.  I am guessing that you'll find it hard to repair the right side joint and replacing it with a CV joint like the left side would be the best route.  

Just beat me to it.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

yep, that older style is supposed to ride in a bath of oil - if it's run like that for a while then the roller bearings won't be rolling too well! As you're half way there I'd swap in the later style as others have said. 

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg