Driveshaft, question for 5 speed conversion

I 'm busy sourcing parts for a 5 speed Getrag 245 conversion for my 75 base model. I'm looking at a 245 that has a 3 bolt flange at the Guibo. I was planning on sending in my driveshaft to Ireland Engineering for shortening since I must supply my own core. Only problem, my existing driveshaft is a 4 bolt style. I haven't called them yet, but do you think they can just weld on a 3 bolt flange? I hope so.  And is there any truth that the 3 bolt style is superior?

Edited by 7502
clarity

They'll probably want a 3- bolt flange, but give them a call- they may be able to source one cheaper than you can.

I like the 3- bolt version.  Both work fine- I race the 4- bolt, but Jenn's 3- bolt is almost 20 years old now.

The only thing to watch is that the 3 is significantly thinner, so your driveshaft with a 3- bolt is a bit longer.

hth

t

FYI, IE's higher price on the three-bolt 5-speed driveshaft accounts for the fact they supply the 3-bolt driveshaft flange (you just supply your 4-bolt manual driveshaft).

Over the past several years (and literally hundreds of 5-speed driveshafts) I have grown an affinity for the 3-bolt version and it's guibo.  It is a numbers game, the 6-bolt guibo is just much more prolific throughout BMW's range.  Since BMW used them up through the E46-range, there are tons out there.  Meaning they are much less likely to resort to bad third party suppliers to manufacture them.

That, and they are much simpler/hardy to work with.....

Edited by AceAndrew

...and some of the aftermarket 4- bolts are absolute dangerous rubbish, to further Andrew's points, whereas the 3- bolts tend to be pretty good...

The diff can be moved back and forth a bit

but only about 3/8" total, so center it up, and you get +-3/16" which isn't very much.  I try not to rely on it...

t

Thanks a lot, as usual I received good information on the forum.  Pulled the driveshaft this morning and sent it off to California for shortening. I'll order new bolts/nuts for both ends while I'm in the buying mode. 

Looking forward to the 5 speed.

Eric