• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guitars and Amps

saaron

• 1 month later...

"The Ultimate Playing Machine"

They give no props to the M Sport stripes, nor do they give us the signal chain, but it sounds good

• Like 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

• 2 weeks later...

Princeton update…plus another one

Got the Princeton back and it looks phenomenal; unfortunately, the speaker needs to be re-coned. It sound lush at lower volumes, though. Ray’s gonna loan me an 10” Alnico while I send this one off to Weber. 

4841A337-33CB-4A8D-B8F5-EB6A60C18638.thumb.jpeg.ef74ba21cab6c9d7f45f4b1985087557.jpeg

77B61AA1-647C-459B-A176-0772EA6FDC75.thumb.jpeg.db119d77db9ac12bdd0a8aca5628a84d.jpeg

I couldn’t resist and put a low bid on a ‘68 Fender Bassman. The description said it wouldn’t power on, prolly why I got it on the cheap. Found that the 2 amp fuse had blown... I'm certain Ray can sort that out.

Though it’s a silverface, it’s early enough that it has the AB-165 circuit from the Blackface era. Awesome. Ray is gonna mod the bass side with a Dumble-style tone stack, and massage the normal channel, too. It’s rated at 50 watts. I bought a Burgera attenuator so I can play this and the Pro Reverb without disturbing the neighbors. Pretty excited to get this one back. 

D9E9271B-8C1A-4E14-A547-AD9E4EC6C7C5.thumb.jpeg.6a4496380b1dd1b601d0e876c78b3efa.jpeg4690AB79-FE56-41D7-AC4F-7529297CF065.thumb.jpeg.4cc54b4ff73b171f893e5e709905fda1.jpeg

Ed Z

Edited by zinz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

OMG that Princeton!  That is amazing.  It looks great.  I bet it sounds amazing.  I put an Eminence speaker in my PR…more on that later.  Here’s my amp odyssey.

Started with a silver face VibroChamp.  It is 100% stock.  It sounds great.  It might be my all time fave.  It records really well.  I played it on our albums.  

Then I bought a silver face Princeton Reverb - purchased from a pawn shop in Florida in the early days of the internet.  It is rough cosmetically - it was a house amp in a bar.  Took it to David Allen (of Allen amps).  He did some work on it, and replaced the speaker with the Eminence (Eminence is just down in Kentucky).  It sounds awesome.  I let one of my friends borrow it early on, and it was gone for almost a year!  A few artists have borrowed it over time, and they are like “that little thing is incredible”.  I do love it.  It’s great.

Then, I got a call from a former co worker - she and her husband were cleaning out her husband’s mother’s house, and they found his old “silver Fender things - boxes - do you want them?”  It turns out the silver boxes were a ‘69 Fender Twin Reverb w/factory gold foil JBLs, and a Vibratone, which is a re-branded Leslie of sorts.  Again, David Allen went through the TR and said it was mostly a blackface circuit, and it had the better built cabinet.  It sounds great, but it is way too much amp for what I do.  I got a Jet City attenuator so it can breathe a little.  

I will keep the two smaller ones and sell off the Vibratone and TR.  There’s a small Dr Z I’d like to get, and a small Vox I’d like to get.  Playing the long game on those, and enjoying what I have.  

Hopefully I didn’t post this stuff in this thread already, lol.  I probably did…

IMG_0171.jpeg

IMG_0170.jpeg

• Like 2

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

On 1/15/2024 at 7:54 AM, saaron said:

do you want them?”

Luckiest day ever!!!  Wow…

The Vibratone is so flipping cool. 😎 

I love of those!

I just went to the Allen Amplification website you posted.  His 10w Chihuahua amp looks a lot like the Tuxedo Princeton! 

Ed Z

Edited by zinz
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have to go cheaper because, well I suck....

Epiphone Black Les Paul Traditional Pro

Bugera hybrid tube amp. 

Behringer Vintage tube monster pedal. (perhaps the most legal fun I have had for $50). 

When I got the amp, wife simply stated. "Now that we can hear you play, we all realize you are not really that good. Please turn it down"......

Edited by Vicleonardo1
  • Haha 2

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me.