• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guitars and Amps

saaron

On 2/5/2020 at 2:43 PM, zinz said:

0 watts. Still too loud for the house, might buy an attenuator

Let me know if you do the attenuator.  I’m thinking I need to do that or just let the TR go at some point.  Though I did de-power it - took out 2 power tubes and switched around some preamp tubes.  But it is still a bit much.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

3 hours ago, saaron said:

Let me know if you do the attenuator.

Haven’t bought the attenuator yet, but got this clean overdrive pedal to round out the SRV, EJ tone.  It’s a mild, clean, overdrive built to mimic a Dumble amp and it really does sound great. 

F80EB950-48DD-45B1-9CA5-6E6F1F3381C1.thumb.jpeg.7069e90020a7305d502878f28de84f48.jpeg

It allows me to achieve the breakup at a much lower volume, but I think an attenuator will work better in the long run. Tubes really need to be driven for performance... kinda like our cars. How many times have I read on FAQ...”I just put a .300 cam and 45DCOEs, but hate how it idles...” uhhhhhh... step on it, son. 

Anyways... I’m very happy with this setup, especially thru a Strat. 

Ed

• Like 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Thanks, Ed — yeah, it’s a sweet one, with really great range of tones. It was the first production electric guitar model with active electronics (FET preamp onboard powered by two 9V). I suspect she also got it because Ace Frehley used to play one..

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

10 minutes ago, visionaut said:

It was the first production electric guitar model with active electronics (FET preamp onboard powered by two 9V).

I had to Google it... couldn't remember seeing one.  Kind of a rare bird, and being one of the first with active electronics... ahead of it's time.  Looks pretty cherry, too.  Nice.

On 3/8/2020 at 1:17 PM, zinz said:

Tubes really need to be driven for performance... kinda like our cars.

Yes, I love my Princeton Reverb and Vibrochamp for that reason - tube amps sound way better turned up a bit.  Hence my interest in the attenuator.  

Scott

• Like 1

02ing since '87

Bought a Fender Telecaster and a Vox Mini Beetle Amp a few months ago. 

2C7A8EFD-14AB-4B20-9417-6A62567697E3.jpeg

• Like 3

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

• 1 month later...

Was snooping around the musical section of Craigslist these last many weeks. Came across a good deal on a Paul Reed Smith guitar. As with many CL transactions, the deal fell through, which was ok. I began educating myself on the make and all the different models. Their US "Core" models are super fine, but way above my "play grade" They have their PRS SE line, made overseas at a much easier price-point. Made with all sorts of exotic veneer tops, but backed with mahogany and maple. Lots of online reviews give them a decent reputation, soI pulled the trigger today on this Zebrawood model. Hopefully, I'll like the way it feels.

h0qmopis6wzlgorxshhe.jpg

Ed

• Like 2

My first time venturing into Off Topic and I find this thread??? lol

One of my geetars with one of my drumsets.

The guitar is a 1961 Gretsch Clipper, an very basic, entry-level guitar. Thin hollow, single pickup, fat sound.

5-piece.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Dead thread revival ..

Got a fun new toy for the fretless. A performance effects pre-amp pedalbox. (Trace Elliot Transit-B)

It’s loads of fun - the sounds it can generate are amazingly diverse. And it can aux-in merge and headphone out, letting me jam along quietly (well, kinda quietly ?).  Anyway, I’m really digging it. It’s gotten me refreshed to hack n thump away again… lol

Tom

<recently inspired again after receiving new strings for Xmas; beefy Rotosound Monel flatwounds..>

D15AA20D-536D-4E5D-A404-73435688633F.jpeg

• Like 2

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 3:32 PM, visionaut said:

It’s loads of fun - the sounds it can generate are amazingly diverse. And it can aux-in merge and headphone out, letting me jam along quietly (well, kinda quietly ?).  Anyway, I’m really digging it. It’s gotten me refreshed to hack n thump away again… lol

Very cool!

Scott

• Thanks 1

02ing since '87