• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guitars and Amps

saaron

2 hours ago, saaron said:

Very cool!

Scott

Thanks Scott.  Yeah this thing’s got a great set of I/O. Very clean pre-amp and a really nicely configured serial effects chain. Solid build. Plus.a tuner. And see those ultra-cool lighted knobs & switches!!! Lol

I can now play via phones, output to my portable speakers or pre- into my MarkBass amp, and chain in other effects or to my Thunderbolt recording connection. Amazed at this tech in a pedal format…

Best is it’s got me enthused again, tho.

Tom

ps: TE makes a Transit for gee-tar too… ?

B7EB05CE-9FAE-4D1F-95EB-4230C0191F30.jpeg

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 6:36 PM, ricsix said:

68 SG

Very nice!!

Speaking of SGs... this arrived this afternoon.  Known back in the day as the "Les Paul killer", a Yahama SG1500.  Solid mahogany body and set-neck, weighs in about 10.5lbs.  Sustain for days...  Yamaha brought Carlos Santana in to develop the early SG line.  He wanted more sustain, so they built them up and he used one for many years.  The huge sustaining notes in "Europa" are played on a Yamaha SG2000.  

Anyways... I spotted this in an online auction with terrible pictures and it was incorrectly described.  I knew what it was and took a chance.  Some dolt sanded the top of the body but fortunately did not destroy it.  The binding is in great condition and they didn't touch the back, neck, or headstock.  Though they did sand the truss rod cover and removed half of the SG1500 label... idiots.

Sooooo... like our beloved 2002s, I will get this one refinished with a new paint job, find some proper humbuckers, get rid of the horrible yellow control knobs, have it properly set up, and get it looking good as new.  

It plays great already, all the controls work, no crackling or buzzing.  Volume pots are push-pull coil split.  Headstock is not cracked (like a Les Paul, these are notorious for have a broken headstock).  The action is low and the fret board is smooth as butter. It has certainly been played.  A very solid, high quality guitar, for sure.  

It came with the original case and very fortunately, the original tail-piece was there (there's a micro-tune tailpiece on it now) and 3 of the 4 original knobs.  dammit... sure wish the 4th knob was in there ?

E7AA4DD0-189A-4E24-80F9-F1AB4725BA10.thumb.jpeg.bfe5681cd630cbbca787a83ff8e68652.jpeg
35362C83-AE27-4785-BEF5-286EDFA4E77E.thumb.jpeg.62ab96c44f3fa2e1f961d21c5e14eefa.jpeg

7599FFEE-EDC9-4EDA-825F-E7073D15E385.thumb.jpeg.7661995c7d2490190f0150086c48c0d7.jpeg

Not sure who's signature this is on the back of the headstock... I want it to be Santana... but I don't think it is.

2FA94213-5F3E-4FF8-917F-0C160D94ED86.thumb.jpeg.684af18a6877536f0b592b4308672c96.jpeg

It will look like this at some point...

0E0CFEA2-FACF-481B-BEAA-BB01F1506719.png.5c7ffbed98cb0fabc3c8d8b8c7aa8073.png

Ed

...party on Garth

Edited by zinz
  • Like 3

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

OMG !!! Ray...you beat me by about 1 minute!!!!  HILARIOUS

Skip to about 2:45 and wait for the sustain :)

Edited by zinz
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, zinz said:

...party on Garth

Nice pickup Ed!! (npi)

It looks to be a rarer early model . I’m gonna guess it’s a 76? The 3 tuning forks on the truss rod cover, and the 3-line head.  And do I see a 3-digit serial?

The early SG1500 were said to actually have better sustain than the SG2000 when driven. Both had that sweet brass sustain block under the bridge, but the SG1500 had a set neck (early ones). I thought it was a carved maple top?

Can’t wait til you make it look all purdy…

Tom

1 hour ago, visionaut said:

And do I see a 3-digit serial?

You have sharp eye.  The serial is 001961 which by some web information puts it either '77, or '78.  Either way, it is the earlier model SG1500 with the set neck and carved maple top.

...entering Nerdville as Joe B calls it:

The web info is kinda sketchy and some details are not always in agreement from one site to another.  One site claims the early models did not have the multi-line binding on the headstock, but mine certainly does.  Mine definitely has a set neck and the top is carved, not flat.  Once site says the fret board should be mahogany, but this one has to be ebony... it is all black and very dense.  

This article talks about the early SG1500 a little bit. Says they were built just like the SG2000 but with dot inlays on the fretboard and chrome hardware (like mine). 

WWW.VINTAGEGUITAR.COM

Of all the excellent – and generally unheralded – guitars built by Yamaha over the years, none has achieved quite the legendary status as the Yamaha SG-2000 (SBG-2000), based primarily because of its association early on with Carlos Santana. Most sources cite 1976 as the debut date of this...

I suppose if we strip the body completely for repaint, we will be able to see the sandwich design of the maple top, set neck and mahogany wings.

This article tries to clear things up, but I think it muddies the waters more

YAMAHAGUITARS.NL

The SG1500 confusion. No Yamaha electric guitar seems to cause more confusion as the SG1500 does. When Yamaha introduced the highly acclaimed SG2000 th...

They obviously did not make very many of these, so trying to find proper information will be iffy at best... (kinda like early Alpina modified cars!)

I'm excited to have it.  I like the way it feels, the neck shape is thicker than my Strat and I like that.  The fret board is much flatter, so it will take some getting used to.  My nephew is in Tokyo, so I have him trying to locate any vintage Yamaha parts like the original humbuckers and a set of knobs. Finding a pickguard will also be damn near impossible.  My guess is the pots have been changed, because I don't think this early model had coil-tap volumes.  I won't know till we take it apart...

Considering this examples on Reverb are asking three times what I've paid, I think I'm doing okay :)

Ed

Edited by zinz
  • Like 1

Yep, ebony fretboard. And only the early ones had a pickguard. And no coil-taps.

The later Japan versions of the SG1500 sported a through neck, block fret inlays and gold hardware. (making it more SG2000-like).

Good to have your nephew searching for original parts in the motherland…

Enjoy it!

• Like 1

This could be on the "What are you listening to" thread, but I think it is more a guitar centric video...

Joe Robinson is an Aussie and a Tommy Emmanuel disciple... I'm not sure which guitar I like better, the George Benson Ibanez or the Gretsch... The volume swells at the end are cool

Or maybe Martin Miller and Tom Quayle's version with some crunch by Tom?

Ed

Edited by zinz

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 7:36 PM, ricsix said:

I just discovered this thread, very cool to see all the equipment. Here’s a corner of my living room.

77 Les Paul, 68 SG, and 67 Melody Maker. 

7BF8FA4B-0CFC-4315-9D81-9D403F33A0C2.jpeg

Wow - nice.  I am looking for a Les Paul right now.  I had a “The Paul II” and stupidly sold it about 10 years ago.  So now I am on the hunt for a nice LP.  Man, they’ve made a lot of models in the last 10 years.  It is bewildering.  

Scott

• Like 1

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

So I did end up finding an attenuator for the Twin Reverb.  It is a Jettunator, designed by Soldano.  It works really well.  

And I bought a Danelectro - it’s a 2002 or so, in terms of year.  It’s a DC3, I think.  It sounds surprisingly good.  Kind of like a cousin to a Strat.  I like it more than I thought it would.  The guy I bought it from didn’t know a lot about guitars, so it was set up really weird.  I adjusted the truss rod and set the string height, intonation, and pickup heights.  It’s decent now.  

Rock on.

Scott

477A11C7-9A19-44CD-A165-A3BF17CD4FD9.jpeg

0C83B830-0A2E-4B85-8AEC-51E176F130F9.jpeg

• Like 2

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

19 hours ago, saaron said:

Wow - nice.  I am looking for a Les Paul right now.  I had a “The Paul II” and stupidly sold it about 10 years ago.  So now I am on the hunt for a nice LP.  Man, they’ve made a lot of models in the last 10 years.  It is bewildering.

Thanks! It's true, there are so many models now with the reissues and special series, etc, lots of really great choices to choose from. I saw a reissue 1960 LP in Tobacco Burst that I absolutely fell in love with; one day I may act on my impulses and get one.

Also - love the Danelectro with the Twin Reverb, that's a solid paring! 

R6

• Like 1

73 02 Inka

05 M3 Schwarz 2

67 912 Light Ivory