• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thru the grill light mounting

Tomhae

Hello all, new to the forum and 2002s in general.   The 1970 02 I have recently acquired has a nice unmolested front bumper that I don't want to drill new holes in.  I notice the majority of cars with aux light I'm seeing here on the forum seem to have mounts that go thru the grill and I'm assuming mount to the core support/brace area behind the grill.   I am wondering if everybody is fabricating their own mounts or if their is a bracket sold for this purpose?  I feel like it would be easy enough to make from angle iron but it would need to be thin enough to fit thru the early metal grill fins and rigid enough to not give the light "the shakes"  on a bumpy road. Thanks in advance for any input.

-Kevin

You can mount your driving lights using the existing bumper bolts that hold the center and end sections together.  I did that on both my '69 and '73 and it works very well.  The plus is that you don't have to remove the lamps if you have to take the grille off--like to replace headlights, clean behind the grille etc.  

Drop me a PM and I'll send you the column I did on mounting auxiliary lamps.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks for the quick info and link.  Correct me if I'm seeing things wrong, but it appears with the setup on the brackets in the link, you have no side to side adjustment of the lights due to the way the light swivel mount is attached at a 90 degree angle to the vertical mounting hole?

1 hour ago, Jjack said:

I bought the brackets offered by a FAQ member for mounting lights, they are first class but the lights to shake around in the dark when in use!

Those were referenced in the 2nd post - Pierre's brackets.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif