• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BAT '73 tii $50k - (not as nice) Canada '74 tii for $15k

BaT prices are all over the place. Like any auction, it just takes two people (or not) to impact a price significantly. I'd guess that whoever it was that paid $50k for the tii is likely looking at it as an investment as much as anything else, and being that it was "pure" in its lineage I can see that. However, Mark (and I mean zero disrespect on this as your car was VERY nice) since it was not an original turbo, and therefore perhaps less of an investment grade car, I think the hammer price was impacted. 

3 minutes ago, Grover said:

BaT prices are all over the place. Like any auction, it just takes two people (or not) to impact a price significantly. I'd guess that whoever it was that paid $50k for the tii is likely looking at it as an investment as much as anything else, and being that it was "pure" in its lineage I can see that. However, Mark (and I mean zero disrespect on this as your car was VERY nice) since it was not an original turbo, and therefore perhaps less of an investment grade car, I think the hammer price was impacted. 

I hear ya Tom, I removed the decals so as not to present it as a "tribute" or "clone" etc... Funny thing when Simon Pagenaud came to pick it up he was all about putting the decals back on it. 

I think what may have impacted BAT buyers the week of my auction was Monterey Week and the Historics were happening with two full blown auctions from Mecum & Russo & Steele. 

But what do I know

3 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Well in actuality I had a higher reserve in mind when I started the process with BAT, however they pushed back implying they would not list the car unless it was lowered. The actual auction "the market" did not reach the new lowered reserve amount. BAT made up for the difference and thus sold the car as per the terms of the auction agreement.  

But what do I know, other than don't let BAT persuade you to lower your reserve. 

Hey Mark...Respectfully, the above doesn't make a lot of sense (to me). 

You say that you initially had a higher reserve in mind but that BaT convinced you to lower it. You then say that the auction didn't "naturally" reach even the lower number set by BaT, with your acquiescence. Finally, you conclude that the moral of the story is "don't let BaT persuade you to lower your reserve." 

Any auctioneer (BaT, Barrett-Jackson, Sotheby's, Mecum, Etc) wants the car to sell, because they don't get paid unless that happens...which is why they're not going to want to devote their resources to a vehicle with a reserve that they feel is out of whack with what the market will bear.

You agreed to their terms. If you feel an auctioneer is pricing your vehicle for a guaranteed "quick sale" as opposed to maximizing its true potential, you can always decline or negotiate more forcefully with supporting data.

If the final hammer didn't reach BaT's recommended (lower) reserve without them "making up the difference," then by consequence it wouldn't have reached a higher (your ideal) reserve level.

So what was lost by their persuasion (assuming of course that they wouldn't have contributed even more to the final, naturally occurring result in order to make up the distance between the final hammer price and the reserve # that you originally wanted)?

Not trying to give you a hard time btw!

COOP

PS: Cool that Pagenaud bought it. I got to meet the whole Penske IRL team last year at Sonom. He was the most down to earth.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:43 AM, Mark92131 said:

I like this 1974 BMW 2002 Tii at 1/2 the price of the $50K BAT Tii.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/6013436963.html

Mark92131

This one has now jetted to Jacksonville, FL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-BMW-2-Series-2002-Tii-/172568667426?hash=item282de4e522:g:07oAAOSwuxFYwcab&vxp=mtr

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17