• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Performance Cam Grind" Question

Columbo

Hello all!

I bought my 1975 2002 last summer and have been working on it on and off all fall and winter.  It developed a knock in cylinder #2 so I removed the front sub frame and changed the rod bearings as well as a new oil pan gasket and bushings.  I haven't fired it up yet but I'm hopeful it was the bearings as the #2 was very worn.

I was rummaging through some of the recipes I got from the PO (that he was give by the PPO) and on one of them it says "performance cam grind", $65.

I know its nearly impossible to know exactly what was done, but can someone give me an idea what was probably done?  BTW, it was done in 2010.

Well up in the N/W there was a Tacoma cam grinder who had a copy of a Tisa cam and many 02 cams were reground to this profile pretty much called a club grind and about 65$ was the price range, but with out a further info it could be anything. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

You'd have to pull the cam sprocket cover- usually it'd say on the nose of the cam itself.

By 2010, Delta Camshaft in Tacoma had the 292 and 304 Schrick profiles as well- they would be most

likely to recommend a longer- duration but lower lift than the 292...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Grab a set of measuring calipers and get the measurement of a lobe's base circle (smallest OD) and then measure the tall side (largest OD).  Subtract the smaller number from the larger and you've got your cam lift.  That will give you a step in the right direction (short of Toby's suggestion of looking for a grind number on the nose).

Edited by AceAndrew