• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

225mm flywheel?

Naz

I've discovered that the flywheel in my tilux is 225mm. Considering that I need to purchase a new clutch assembly would it make sense to purchase a 228mm flywheel or just machine the 225mm?

My instincts tell me the 225mm is a better configuration.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would keep it stock. I think the larger flywheel is an eight bolt vs original six bolt right? Not sure, but I would have to check my records. The problem with changing flywheel /clutch configuration is the release bearings are different from early to late and getting that right takes some careful selection. 

Im pretty sure I'm correct on that. 

REY

I'm a BMW Zombie and there's no cure!

You can find a three finger pressure plate for the six bolt, but finding the throwout bearing is much tougher, it is wider and is mandatory for that PP.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

1 hour ago, HBChris said:

You can find a three finger pressure plate for the six bolt, but finding the throwout bearing is much tougher, it is wider and is mandatory for that PP.

If you decide to go with the 3 finger set-up, I believe I've got the correct t/o (release) bearing for it. PM if interested. -KB

Contact kbmb02, he said he has them.  You won't find one online guaranteed, I searched seven or eight years ago. And, yes, that is the three finger PP, it looks very used.

Edited by HBChris

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Ok, thanks to Rick here in Vancouver who has been working on 2002's for over 40 years we have found a simple solution. Going to drill and tap new holes on the flywheel to accommodate the 228mm clutch assembly. Ditch the 3 finger system as parts are impossible to find thus saving any further frustration in the future.

The pressure plate needs to be perfectly centered in order to be balanced at high rotational speed. I'd be very careful doing that conversion. Do we know the flywheel surface is big enough? If you're rebuilding the engine, why not put in an 8 hole crank and 228 flywheel.

228 kits arent hard to find. Try Rockauto, or check your local Auto parts stores - even Cdn Tire.

I have a fairly fresh 215 mm 3 finger set around if it comes to that.

My opinion keep it stock. No conversion is cheap. Also you would still use the same clutch slave... if you want to start converting go all the way with the crank and flywheel with a full on 1968 and later setup. Me personally I would just go on ebay and look at this item.
Number
I believe this will work for your car. Double check with the seller.
Make them an offer less than the 249.00 their asking and you'll get it for less. Located in Santa Barbara, CA.
Unless your driving your car 30k miles per year this could be the last clutch you ever buy for it.
Good luck!!
Rey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm a BMW Zombie and there's no cure!

Rey, that's a 200mm pressure plate and the one I have is a 225. I put a 228 pressure plate against my flywheel and it lines up perfectly with the exception of the bolt pattern and lacking dowels which can also be machined to accept. I'm moving forward with this method and will update on my progress. I am having the machine shop do this work for me btw. Not using my hand drill.