• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window question!

squiggelsworth

Hello Sirs and Sirettes! 

2002 noob here with a noob question!

My 73' 2002's windows don't quite go down into the door all the way, making my 'cool dude driving with elbow out the window pose' rather uncomfortable. Question: are all 2002's designed with this INTOLERABLE fault or is mine just poorly adjusted?  Thanks! 

Does the window go up and seal at the rear? If yes, then it's adjusted correctly. If no, follow the attached article. The window will not disappear into the door like modern cars.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Having driven a '69 from new back in the day the thing that amazed me was the Bavarian designers figured out a way to stop the North American habit of driving with your arm out the window.  Cool perhaps ... But not the Bavarian way, so the window DOES NOT go all the way down. Same on my '73.

:-)

George

Hey--an '02 doesn't suggest, it demands both hands on the wheel.  This ain't no Ford or Chevy that you can drive one-handed.  Driving is a SERIOUS BUSINESS:  ask any German...thus no arm dangling.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Good one...

Not to be-labor this point too much.... but back when I had my first '02, the 1969 Euro version, I did the British equivalent of Advanced Driving training and you would definitely not have passed at any level with a dangling arm. The thing I got bad-marked for was not depressing the button on the handbrake lever as I pulled it on. That is a no-no. Wears the rachet and if you pull too hard, you have to pull even harder to release, stretching and wearing the cable. No Car Sympathy marks for that.... But I still passed OK with a warning not to do it again....and I haven't !!...  lol

George