• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Airbox Paint Recomendation Please

Stuart

That is certainly an unusual air box.  Check the Eastwood's website for coating possibilities.  Maybe you can clean it up and have someone apply carbon fiber to the exterior.  Think there are some faux CF out there too.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Got some more information on the airbox.   It was mounted on a 1970 Alpina A2-S car.  The original owner was a mechanical engineer with a PhD from Berkeley.  He wanted to improve the air-flow and filtration of the original metal-cannister airbox (ti) that originally came with the car.  After consulting with Alpina - he designed this.  It's a resonance-tuned, standing-wave airbox.  The air comes in via an over under feed from the front.  It uses a rectangular filter from a 7 series.  The cover on the front is held on magnetically.  It was specifically designed to improve the airflow.  The lower round intake feed might have had a length of hose attached to it that was forward facing in the engine compartment but not sure where it was routed.   

There will be some work involved to get it mounted.  It will be mated to the 40s via a set of air horns using the stock ti rubber bellows.  After all the mounting work is complete then we'll decide how to either clean it up and or paint it.       

To the best of my knowledge it is one of a kind so I want to be very careful how I clean it up.   

• 1 month later...

How about epoxy paint? It likes heat, is chemical resistant, is ideal for metal, aluminum, plastic, and Fiberglass!

O'Reilly's has VHT brand epoxy paint in various colors. I used this on my diff, subframe, and rear control arms with very nice results. It just takes a long time to fully cure so you need to be patient.

Chris

1 hour ago, cdbeemin said:

O'Reilly's has VHT brand epoxy paint in various colors. I used this on my diff, subframe, and rear control arms with very nice results. It just takes a long time to fully cure so you need to be patient.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/specialty/vht-epoxy-all-weather-paint

VHT Epoxy Paint is a one-step epoxy coating, which does not require the use of a primer. It has been formulated to give the appearance and durability of a baked-on finish. It provides a porcelain-like finish that is chemical, corrosion, rust and salt resistant.
Temperature - 250°F (121°C) Intermittent 
Dry Time - Dries to the touch in 30 mins. Dries thoroughly overnight. No curing required.
Applications - Suspension, Kick Panels, Tools
Net Weight - 11 oz.
Finish - Gloss and Satin
Available in These Colors:
Gloss Black - SP650 
Gloss White - SP651  
Satin Black - SP652 

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif