• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73' Automatic

squiggelsworth

Hello fellow 2002 peeps and freaks! I'm new to the 2002 world having started slowly with an E30 Cabrio and a couple of E21's. Well, I finally bought a 73' 2002 Automatic (in beautiful Chamonix white...my favorite!) and I want to keep it as is (WOT?? No 5 speed conversion??  NOO!!) I just love the 'Automatic' badge and I don't care about going fast! (actually, its pretty peppy as is, so I'm fine with it) Anyway, I need the shifter plate (not sure what its called, the curved cover plate with the gear indicator window on it) and I was wondering if my model is different to the later, post 73' models?  Thanks fellas!    -Steve

First: From one automatic owner to another - Thanks for keeping yours an automatic. With a properly functioning box, they're really not that bad. I've never had a problem keeping up with other 02's on spirited drives.

it's my understanding that this is the same across all years - if steve @blunttech can't get you one I'm pretty sure i saw them instock w/ w&n not too long ago.

Haha, Oh ITS REAL BABY!!  I'll get pics up today! :D     Man, I'm glad to see there's people out there that love and cherish their automatics! (Come on, you just have to LOVE that it has a badge that proclaims it so! haha) Someone else told me only like 10-15% from the Hoffman era imports were Automatics? That's a rare and worthy car to care for and maintain, seems to me. 

Mine came with an interesting service history, great reading! 

Bits I have to do:

I'm going to try and save the original dark blue upholstery. The driver's seat seating area was redone years ago and the back has a tear where the spring went through it as the horse hair (?) stuffing gave up the ghost long ago! I have a guy nearby that I think can repair it and restuff it. The headset on the same needs love as well. The other seats are in pretty good shape! Just need to be re-stuffed.

Try and repair a few cracks in the dash. Seen some interesting things online.

Carpets are original and in pretty darn good shape. At most the driver's bit by the pedals could be replaced. Not sure if they sell the carpets by bits? Might buy one of those Coco floor mat sets, I like the look, not sure if its considered tacky by 2002 snobs? Who cares....

Might try and find a good condition OG sterring wheel or have mine covered with a leather cover by someone who knows what their doing. Mine has all these chips on it like someone too a small chisel to it! Maybe someone wearing rings? Who knows..

Car is all original, runs really well but needs the following (I just bought it this week!)

Carb adjust

Steering box adjust or bushings replaced, not sure.

All in all its an awesome little car!

Here's a few pics I have right now

20160201_095546.jpg

20160201_095751.jpg

20160201_095827.jpg

Found the shifter cover at 2002AD! Thanks Mo for the tip! I paind a little more cause I didn't see you guy's tips before I -in a fit of excitement- ordered it there first! No biggie, only a few bucks more...

Here's few more pics guys.  I ordered a new rubber and chrome insert for the front windshield and other bits as well.

Let me know if you like it!

20160201_095901.jpg

20161024_144713.jpg

20161029_100626.jpg

20161029_100653.jpg

20161029_100707.jpg

20161029_100719.jpg

20161029_100724.jpg

20161029_100734.jpg

Welcome to the 2002 fraternity/sorority.  Looks like a very nice car--and when driving on the twisties if you manually shift between second and third you can easily keep up with the stick shift '02s.   Interesting--it's got a tach--normally automatics came with a clock.

Get those seats re-stuffed ASAP--the springs will chew through that old vinyl in a heartbeat.  And keep an eye on the for sale board for someone selling a back seat in that dark blue--even if it's sun-rotted along the top, it will have more than enough material to re-do your driver's seat to match the original upholstery.   

What's the VIN?  '73 automatics ran between 2533173 and 2534861; you can contact BMW Classic, supply your VIN and they can tell you the car's assembly date and original color--and whether it was delivered to Hoffman Motors or was an overseas delivery.\

cheers

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite