• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a Roundie Daily in San Diego

Leucadian

I just purchased a 72, in BC, border was easy. The dot sticker was on the car, drivers door. I would ask for that info from the owner. CBP didn't seem to care what I paid for it, and went NADA, for the duty charge. They charged me for low blue book, less than $300. I live in Oregon, DMV just did a VIN check, took my money and sent me on my way.

FWIW, I purchased a '73 stock '02, for this same price early this year in Toronto. Tread VERY carefully !! I am always suspicious when so called $50k resto's are done and the u/s images are blurry so you cannot see the detail. The u/s of this car does not match the topsides and $$$ spent. My '73 is spotless u/s as well as topside.

Make sure the VIN on the registration papers matches the VIN on the body, otherwise you will have one h_ _ _ of a hassle at the border. Ask me how I know :( Not with my BMW but another car.

If it checks out, this is a special car and probably a better daily driver than the Tii. Good Luck !!

I spoke with the owner at length, gave me a full breakdown.  He says there are two quarter sized paint bubbles on the front and rear fenders, but other than that the underbody is clean (supposedly).  Also offered to have the car taken to an independent mechanic (not the one who did the work).  That being said, it sounds like I need to get pics of the vin and the registration papers, as well as more underbody shots.  

It looks like a great car, but in a perfect world, I'd like to find something in socal so I don't have to pay for duty, registration and delivery...

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

Why would someone spend upwards of 50 grand and then sell the car for basically a quarter of the value? Also, why not list this on eBay where you're guaranteed to get a far better value for your car albeit the more hassle? The description of the car and the seller doesn't really lend itself to the assumption that the seller is misinformed. Something doesn't add up but perhaps I'm being stupid. Either way as mentioned before, I'd tread softly but carry a big stick.

On 10/14/2016 at 10:32 AM, Leucadian said:

I spoke with the owner at length, gave me a full breakdown.  He says there are two quarter sized paint bubbles on the front and rear fenders, but other than that the underbody is clean (supposedly).  Also offered to have the car taken to an independent mechanic (not the one who did the work).  That being said, it sounds like I need to get pics of the vin and the registration papers, as well as more underbody shots.  

It looks like a great car, but in a perfect world, I'd like to find something in socal so I don't have to pay for duty, registration and delivery...

Did you? How long has he owned it?

Assuming the phone number in the Hemmings ad is the owner's, he also is selling a number of other cars.

His website: http://classicshowcase.com/index.php/restoration/facility

I'd go look myself if I were you.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I talked to the Hemmings lister as well. Seems like a legit guy. He owns a tire/wheel shop in Edmonton. Apparently he just bought a racing sailboat (43 footer) in Europe. I guess he and his wife discussed his "car problem" so he is selling some of them. The 2002 (which he has owned since '07) is currently going through due diligence and is likely be to sold by Wednesday. The owner (Todd) actually encouraged the potential buyer to take it to a local garage (not of the owner's choosing) to have it looked over. It seems like a pretty good deal, best that I can tell.

Here's another one (albeit in much rougher shape): http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5811372869.html

• 1 month later...

Back to your original post:  Patience and due diligence will reward you (I know, sounds like something out of a fortune cookie, right?).  As an owner of a nice '73, acquired early this year, I know this can seem like a unicorn hunt at times.  I think there are, or will be, plenty of decent candidates there in the SW (that's where I ended up buying mine).  There's nothing like looking it over personally and driving it yourself.  My original car, decades ago, was also a '73 - so I had a preference for another Roundie.  That said, I wouldn't hesitate to consider a nice, well documented square tail-light car.

Tii's are wonderful creatures, but I think a well sorted non-tii can be a very satisfying package. 

Take your time, choose wisely...

image.jpg

Edited by XAVMECH