• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok Final Question: What do you all use to Glue Back Together Bumper Accordions After Shortening Them?

Captain Manly

So, I have shortened the bumper assemblies and with that now have to cut the accordions (as is cut), what you recommend to use to glue the pieces back after measuring and cutting them?  

I saw Machinist Mate "Atomic Glue" on one of the Velocity Channel shows, but can pull the trigger ($50/very small bottle) to justify. 

Any other recommendations that have worked well?

Thank you again for your help!!

Justin 

I shortened mine both front and rear and cut the accordions so tight that you can't really notice anything so, I didn't glue them up.  No one has ever mentioned anything and even I only occasionally see or notice a gap there.

My "fun" cars so far:                                                                                                                                                                                                            My restoration website:

1976 BMW 2002a                                                                                                                                                                                                           http://www.2002and914.com

1975 Porsche 914

I always left one accordion section on the aft part where it goes into the smooth end that bolts to the car and then you can cut the front accordion one or two ribs longer and just tuck it under the rear piece and the folds line up no glue needed

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

If you look at my top photo (rear bumper), I found best to cut the end attached to body close to bottom of ridge.  You want the bumper end and body end to fit together naturally - the high ridge from bumper end to fit in recess of the body end.  Kinda hard to explain, but if you have the two pieces off the car, try to visualize how the ridges will overlap and fit together.  Best to cut a little long at first and remove one section at a time.  It's difficult to have more then one accordion section to overlap.