• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

electric fan installation

2ohoh2

I am installing a electric fan in my car and I was wondering what part of the ignition people tend to tie the relay wiring into so that it gets power when the ignition is on? I dont want to overload anything have have problems with fuses. any advice would be appreciated.

The fan draws enough power that you should run a wire directly to the battery (or main battery cable at the starter if you have the battery in the trunk) and fuse it before the relay.  You can then use the a circuit controlled by the ignition switch to energize the relay as the additional load will be minimal (circuit #15 is live with the key in the run position) You should be able to pick up that circuit at fuse # 5 on the 6 fuse box or fuse #10 on the 12 fuse box. 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

that's what I did... except i ran a few things off it.

- Aux Fan

- Wideband

- VDO Gauges

- Radio antenna

FYI: i had to change the location of the distribution block after realizing it interfered with the "under-dash" pieces.

27402992742_48deeaa141_n.jpg

Edited by MildSeven

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

I'm using an ignition switched wire in the engine compartment that was for the now-removed emission related relays on my 76 (green/white wire)

I installed a small 4-fuse distribution block next to the relays by the battery and put the fan relay there as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BV1MS1K/

I'll also using be using the fuse block for the electric fuel pump and fog lights in the future.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!