• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ghost in the Machine or Unidentified Noises

Columbo

Hello all.

I bought a 1975 2002 about three weeks ago and have been doing a lot of small fixes.  The PO wasn't mechanical minded and I guess had no problem living with mis-aligned windows and burned out bulbs, among dozens of other things.  It's actually a very solid car with just some surface rust on the corner of the trunk and a few other places.

However, there are two noises that are driving me a bit batty.

The first is a whooshing sound coming from the rear wheel.  Applying the brakes doesn't have any effect so I ruled out a dragging pad.  When I open my door going down the road, it's very noticeable.  I've jacked it up and spun the wheel and other than a little resistance from the differential, it spins and I don't hear anything abnormal.  I can start to hear it at about 10 MPH.  Any Ideas??

The second noise is at higher RPMs under acceleration.  It is a knocking noise in time with the RPMs.  If I accelerate slowly I can't hear it and if I rev the motor in neutral I don't hear it.  I adjusted the valves, replaced the plugs, replaced the cap and rotor, checked the oil, and had a Euro shop set the timing.  (I'd say the RPM I start to hear it but my tach isn't working at the moment).

The engine seems to pull strong and other than a small valve cover leak that mists the exhaust manifold, runs great.

BTW, I had a 1980 635CSI Euro Spec that I sold and now have this 02 that I have to say like a lot better.  It took little time at all to get under my skin!

Edited by Columbo

1- if it's really coming from one side and not the other 

(ride in the back with the rear lower seat cushion removed if you're not sure)

internet guess #1 is the rear wheel bearing.  If my guess is correct, it should get louder when you turn away from it 

(load the wheel more heavily) as in, a noise from the right wheel will get louder in a high- speed hard left corner.

1b- whooshing is a sound I associate more with toilets.  But differentials also kinda do it- if it's more in the center, I'd look at the diff or the center bearing.  Check the oil in your diff and trans just to say you've done it!

2- Lots of things.  One being, of all things, the mechanical advance in the distributor.  You'll have to narrow this one down, since there are so many potential offenders.

Which is tough, I know, since it only does it under load...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks for the input!  I did do some s-turns and the whooshing sound is constant.  I do have a 36mm socket so I may have to bite the bullet and just take a look at the bearings.  I forgot to add in the last post I changed the diff fluid.  I also forgot to mention it started it's life as an automatic and somewhere down the line was converted to a four speed manual.  It shifts butter smooth but I'll change the tranny fluid tomorrow just because.

The distributer is vacuum advance.

Really hard trying to deal with phonetics over the internet. Your whoosh may be my gnash :D

My guess would be differential. I had a metallic hiss coming from the drive train. Very noticeable when driving next to a concrete barrier and the sound reflected. I thought it might have been the gearbox but I swapped the diff before wading into a gearbox rebuild and it went away. I think it was a noisy pinion bearing. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

And my guess is center driveshaft bearing. All 3 of the '02s I've owned became noticeably quieter going down the road after the center bearing was replaced about 3 months after purchasing each of them. I guess the POs didn't notice it because it changed slowly.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now