• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RHD clutch master woes

2002Targa

Greetings all.  My RHD Targa is in need of a new clutch master.  Currently, the RHD master is $350 and the LHD master is $65.  As far as I can tell, the only difference is the input/output on the LHD are both on the top where the RHD master has one top and bottom.  

My question is does anyone know if the LHD master can be used with some creative plumbing or is it a clearance issue with the RHD to where it's just not possible to get the rear line in??

Thanks much,

TK

LHD.jpg

RHD.jpg

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

I do not know the answer to that, but I am curious whether you have removed the circlip, to see what is happening inside.

I took one apart recently (LHD) and it was full of sludge.  There was a very minor amount of pitting in the bore, out near the end, which I polished out.  I have not tested mine yet, but am feeling optimistic.

I hope this is not a frustrating tangent for you.  I am just curious about how yours has failed.

Tom

edit, to add this 

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/181911-clutch-master-and-slave-cylinders/?do=findComment&comment=1119563

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

The only difference is the pushrod length. Both those pictures you posted appeared to be of LHD master cylinders, and I'm tipping one is for a different model BMW, or maybe turbo 2002's idk.

I bought a 400mm braided stainless softline from Blunttech to run from the clutch master cyl. to the hardline on the trans. Or you could get a straight length of hardline made up with the right nuts on it for about AUD$10 by any serious brake and clutch workshop, and bend it up to suit your car at home.

You might need to swap the pushrod between your old any new one you get. As Jace points out, pretty sure the one supplied as RHD is different. 

How or about getting yours re-sleeved? That's probably the best option for RHD hydraulics these days unless you want to rebuild it yourself as Minty suggests. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Unfortunately, I don't have the old one in hand to play with.  I'm in FL and the car is in storage at my fathers house in OR.  The clutch is the only item needed to make the car drivable and I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before flying out to retrieve it. If I had them side by side I think I'd just hone the old one and use all the innards from the new cyl.

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa