• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'74 2002 Vermont (newbie)

2002VT

Goodbye '74 US spec bumper.  She pulled out like a beast!  Ended up using a 2x4 on each corner with a small dead blow hammer to whack it out. Then it was like I had to mount the rear end like a wild stallion. I yanked it up and down, then back and forth - out she came. :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hey kids,

How do I tell the tank is ok?  It's a little orange in the inside - but not too bad.  The fuel was nasty (black/brown) when I dumped it out. That was after I vigorously shook the tank (while I twerked for my girlfriend) and poured it out. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I had good luck with pressure washing. I took the tank to a DIY car wash that offered hot soap and water.  Put the wand in the tank and sprayed the **** out of it.  Got rid of all the surface rust.  Afterward I used an air gun to dry the inside of tank.

NOTE!  It's a good idea to coat the inside of the tank with a rust inhibitor.  It will flash rust in no time without.  POR15 (and others) make great products for this.

Another note.  I did a lot of research and eyeballing to pick the wheels for my car.  I wanted something different but complimentary to the car colour.  While I was doing that, I concluded that metallic gold (centers) and metallic silver (edges) is fairly unique and complimentary to the more subtle body colours.  I chose another combo only because I'd already had gold/silver BBSs and wanted something different, again.

DSC00233sml.jpg

I think Granatrot and these wheels would look very rich and unique.  A definite head-turner.  IMHO.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Paul, thanks a million!  I expected this tanks to be far worse than it was. I like the idea of pressure washing and then coating it. 

I have been looking at gold center wheels too. Mostly, a set of work vs-xx. I know they are not period correct, but I think they could be amazing!  If I do go with his color, I agree they will be super eye-catching. The other idea for body is mineral grey metallic. Photo attached:

image.jpeg

Well, tonight was a very exciting night!  I blew out the fuel line, dipped it into a new can of fresh fuel - pumped it - and it started!  Haha!  It's ALIVE...but it's barely breathing. 

The first blow out of exhaust was rather dark and full of carbon. It actually left some carbon spatter in the cabinet just behind the exhaust!  It was a rough idle, but I didn't change the plugs. I'll do that next with a compression test. 

but....IT'S ALIVE!!!!!  

IMG_5592.MOV

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On August 10, 2016 at 10:17 PM, 2002VT said:

Awe snap - found cancer on the interior tear down. Front upper floor is gonzo!  Do you all take out the sound padding - and then just go dynomat?  

Ps - any parts I should not toss (like NLA stuff)?  I think I should toss the center console and the seats. Seems someone went bonkers with the screws in the console. *facepalm* 

have you still got the seats?!

Really need the driver's side part that un screws between the part you sit on, and the part you put your back against. Let me know! Happy to pay something for it. Just hard to find.

I attached a photo. After both sides if you haven't trashed them!

PS really tidy car. Next to nada rust. Awesome find! 

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 4.01.27 PM.png

Edited by 72_02

17 hours ago, 72_02 said:

have you still got the seats?!

Really need the driver's side part that un screws between the part you sit on, and the part you put your back against. Let me know! Happy to pay something for it. Just hard to find.

I attached a photo. After both sides if you haven't trashed them!

PS really tidy car. Next to nada rust. Awesome find! 

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 4.01.27 PM.png

Ill check and see - I still have the seats. One is broken. I'll take a look. 

JD

BFH treatment on the drum, and worked hard on the ebrake that was frozen - broke the pad off the old shoe (oops) and it's taking a bath in PB blaster at the moment.  However, I can roll it around now!  Whoohoooo!  

Celebrated with my favorite micro brew double IPA. 

Ps - anyone lucky enough to have the epic rare thermometer clipped in their window vent? ;-)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...