• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What next for me? E3, E12, ???

MatthewCervi

So, I've sold my tii and once everything has settled on it in a few weeks it will be time to start looking for something new.  Originally, I was convinced I wanted an E30 because I wanted something kind of 2002-like but more modern, but the more I think about it the less I feel right about that.  I have a new BMW and I have my kids' E36s; I should stay old-school.

At this point, I want a better cruising car than canyon-carver.  I had a couple E28s that I really liked, but I didn't like the E34 I had that just felt too big.  I *really* want air conditioning, even if it is 1970s pathetic BMW A/C.

Does anyone here have experience with Bavarias and E12s who can say how they feel?  Anyone with one currently who can talk about parts availability?  Am I better off with an E28 for parts and having semi-effective A/C?

Finally, if it helps with steering me in the right direction, my budget will be around $10,000 with a large pad for future improvements, but I don't want a basket case like my tii was when I bought it.

Thanks!

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

....tii has sold!!!  Great but sad news.  Will it stay nearby?

i like the Bavaria- especially with more modern big six and even automatic trans. Maybe Rob Siegel will sell you his - if he still has it.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

It's going to California.  The new owner knows of the FAQ, so hopefully he'll become an active member once he gets the car.  

I should ask Rob about his Bavaria; he would know a lot about them at this point.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm.  The desire for AC does seem to point towards the 70s or 80s, because at first I was thinking something like a 2000cs.  I like the styling, and you can rock the Gerock-approved dual Solexes.  But AC is going to be an impossibility, or close to it.  But, still.  They are unique.

What about something like the 3.0i (I may be garbling the name) - the bigger sedan prior to the 5 series.  Sort of the last of the Bavarias.  There was one in the Couple Death Camp that Jason found.  It was like a fancy Bavaria.  It looked more modern inside and had fuel injection.  Big bumpers, though.  

I do like Bavarias.  They look great, and they look comfortable.  I know Rob put on bigger sway bars, and that was about it.  I know his has AC, too.  

My friend had an E28 - a lowly e that we drove to Vintage one year.  I actually really liked it.  It isn't too big, and the greenhouse is 02-like.  I don't have much knowledge re the first 5 series, but it also seems like a good size.  The styling isn't as nice as the E28, to me.  

Or find an 02 w/AC that needs some love, and bring it back.  You know how to do all the 02 stuff.  

Last two ideas:

-6 series.  Especially a euro version.  But almost any version could be had with a stick, and since it was a luxury car, AC would not be impossible.  These cars are growing on me.  

-Euro E21 323i.  From the good old days when BMW didn't give us the best version of anything.  I looked at a 323i Baur.  You could get Recaros and close-ratio 5 speeds.  With the euro bumpers, they look good, and they probably run great on the highway with the little 6.

That's all I got.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

18 hours ago, MatthewCervi said:

1971 Bavaria.  Just got home with it after a 10 hour drive from Atlanta.

Well - that answers that question!  Just seeing this thread.  As an E28 owner since '92, and given your previous experience, that would have been my vote.  Many parts still available compared to the E3 & E12, and a great forum community similar to the one here (myE28.com).  E3s & E12s are orphans somewhat, but there are some great examples out there, and some of the myE28.com guys have them so check over there if you are having issues.

Good luck!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

1 hour ago, John_in_VA said:

Well - that answers that question!  Just seeing this thread.  As an E28 owner since '92, and given your previous experience, that would have been my vote.  Many parts still available compared to the E3 & E12, and a great forum community similar to the one here (myE28.com).  E3s & E12s are orphans somewhat, but there are some great examples out there, and some of the myE28.com guys have them so check over there if you are having issues.

Good luck!

Parts availability?  What fun is that?!?

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2