• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie, Upgrades to '75 2002 as it's prepared as a fun street car

Doing the head is easy and about $500 total. Might want to do a leak down test and confirm its just the head that has problems. if it is just a head you could easily pull the head your self, send it to the machine shop and be up and running in a week.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Doing the head is easy and about $500 total. Might want to do a leak down test and confirm its just the head that has problems. if it is just a head you could easily pull the head your self, send it to the machine shop and be up and running in a week.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

So -- an update, all feedback welcomed. 

The shop my uncle uses is confident they can do the rear floorpan rust repair, any suspension work, and install a new exhaust. Their labor rate is very reasonable, and any work I can get done there that they're confident in, I'm comfortable with. So...

Current thinking is to do a suspension overhaul as described at Ireland Engineering here:

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-suspension-steering/streetperformancesuspension.html

I'm guessing there's a lot under the car that needs freshening, including all the rubber.

And a SS exhaust, as I think the one that was welded in by the PO is annoying. This one caught my eye:

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-exhaust/02ssexhaustLATE.html

So, the shop owner has suggested two places nearby in NC for the engine work, though he'd rebuild the head for around $600, all in.

The two shops are Swedish Werke in Boone, NC, and German Auto Service in Hickory, NC.

Now, it turns out that Korman Autoworks is about an hour from my uncle's place, and I've been talking to them a little. They're obviously experienced, but they are premium for price. They'll do a complete review of the car for around $500, which'll give me a list and maybe a plan. But they suggested a mid-teens budget for a complete engine rebuild with upgrades (carbs and cam) and whatever else might be needed to support that. I'm not prepared to go there at this point. 

So, I'm gonna pursue my research. As noted above, I'm gonna need to at least restuff the seats, and I'm likely to want to do more on the engine than a head rebuild, but maybe I can do that a little at a time and get my hands greasy.

Thanks!
Marc

Edited by spectro28
Autocorrect typo

4 hours ago, spectro28 said:

.....I'm gonna need to at least restuff the seats...

Hey, Marc!

The move-a-bit-slower route sounds wise to me.  The more you know about '02's, and about what you like more and like less about this '02, the happier you'll be with the finished result.

By the by, the factory gray interiors were somewhat rare in Europe but extremely rare in the U.S.  We don't know precisely why, e.g., perceptions of deemed market demand, vinyl supply issues.  Nope, we really don't have a clue!  Which, in my mind, makes any surviving gray interior pretty darned special.  Treat it well.  If you do swap out seats, keep the original factory seats so they can stay with the car.  Most Granatrot metallic U.S. cars came here with black vinyl interiors, but gray was the factory-recommended combination.

Good luck, enjoy!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hey Mark.  I have owned an '02 since 1974, but just finishing up on the rebuild of my 75 base model.  Everything that jrhone says pretty much applies to the route that I have gone.  I highly recommend talking to someone like Steve at Top End Performance in North Hollywood.  Although I have put over 200,000 miles on stock '02's over the years and read through many build blogs and specific articles on this site; having someone like Steve to refer questions and options to, and then supply the parts, was extremely helpful to me.  He could do the work as well, but like you I chose to have the work done locally rather than shipping the car or engine to California (mine had a blown head gasket so it was not drivable).  Steve is very accessible and willing to discuss options and share his preferences and advice.

Good luck and enjoy every step along the way.  

4 hours ago, Conserv said:

Hey, Marc!

The move-a-bit-slower route sounds wise to me.  The more you know about '02's, and about what you like more and like less about this '02, the happier you'll be with the finished result.

By the by, the factory gray interiors were somewhat rare in Europe but extremely rare in the U.S.  We don't know precisely why, e.g., perceptions of deemed market demand, vinyl supply issues.  Nope, we really don't have a clue!  Which, in my mind, makes any surviving gray interior pretty darned special.  Treat it well.  If you do swap out seats, keep the original factory seats so they can stay with the car.  Most Granatrot metallic U.S. cars came here with black vinyl interiors, but gray was the factory-recommended combination.

Good luck, enjoy!

Regards,

Steve

Thank Steve! Yeah, it's actually a nice combination -- the car had an overspray at some point, but it's not bad looking. The light gray interior is mostly unmolested, the driver seats has a small tear on the side bolster, and the vinyl is a little stiff. The original carpet is in really good condition. I've thought about trying to keep the vinyl and put new horsehair in, or to try to match the color with replacement covers (Leather?). For what this car is, I am hoping to have the interior comfortable and original! 

I've also always liked to have a light interior, more comfortable in the sun. This one feels really light and airy with the awesome 2002 greenhouse!

2 hours ago, jim57759 said:

Hey Mark.  I have owned an '02 since 1974, but just finishing up on the rebuild of my 75 base model.  Everything that jrhone says pretty much applies to the route that I have gone.  I highly recommend talking to someone like Steve at Top End Performance in North Hollywood.  Although I have put over 200,000 miles on stock '02's over the years and read through many build blogs and specific articles on this site; having someone like Steve to refer questions and options to, and then supply the parts, was extremely helpful to me.  He could do the work as well, but like you I chose to have the work done locally rather than shipping the car or engine to California (mine had a blown head gasket so it was not drivable).  Steve is very accessible and willing to discuss options and share his preferences and advice.

Good luck and enjoy every step along the way.  

Thanks Jim -- I'll reach out to Steve. I bought the car in Tenesee right near where my uncle lives in NC. The work I'm getting done in NC is in part as a bargain and in part to spend some money there to juice an economy that needs it... I'm located in the Bay Area, and labor rates are 8x what they are in NC.