• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Build update

LateApex

Well, the build almost completely done.  I finished just in time to take the car to The Mitty at Road Atlanta and participate in the Coker Tire Tour to the MItty.  So, my "shakedown cruise" was an all day thrash through the north Georgia mountains.  I'm happy to say the car came through with flying colors.  Temps stayed down, oil pressure stayed up and the engine pulled well. The car was fresh from the body shop so I was unable to lay down my graphics and it rolled in pure white.

IMG_2493_zpsjvwrbszc.jpg

After I got home I was able to install my graphics which, I guess, marks the end of "the build".  I still have a few small items to do such as install my innovate data acquisition, fine tune the Webers, install my camber/bump steer plates, adjust the fit of a couple of flares, etc.  I guess the build is never done, haha.  Here is the "finished" product.

DSC_1951_zpsywkxantj.jpg

Edited by LateApex

Looking good!!

I looked at the previous post just now and I hope you eventually put on filters or screens for the carbs just in case.  You don't want to suck up anything.  Also let us know how the carb tuning went.  I also run 45s so I would like to see what other people get.

Beast 02- '74 2002
Beast 35- '11 135i
The Twins!!!
O=00=O

Congrats!  My one question....is the air dam installed too high? It should meet cleanly with the flares shouldn't it?  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

11 minutes ago, jrhone said:

Congrats!  My one question....is the air dam installed too high? It should meet cleanly with the flares shouldn't it?  

Yes, it is mounted on the high side.  It was a compromise and since this was not a show quality build, I didn't feel I needed to match the OEM turbo fitment perfectly.  1) I couldn't find a mounting height for the air dam that blended perfectly with my flares.  2) Mounting it lower will not have a significant effect on the aerodynamics or, really, provide any handling benefit. 3) Mounting it a little high allowed me to cover the huge bumper mount holes on my '76 and saved me bodywork charges for filling those in.  4) A higher air dam will make trailer loading potentially easier.

3 minutes ago, LateApex said:

Yes, it is mounted on the high side.  It was a compromise and since this was not a show quality build, I didn't feel I needed to match the OEM turbo fitment perfectly.  1) I couldn't find a mounting height for the air dam that blended perfectly with my flares.  2) Mounting it lower will not have a significant effect on the aerodynamics or, really, provide any handling benefit. 3) Mounting it a little high allowed me to cover the huge bumper mount holes on my '76 and saved me bodywork charges for filling those in.  4) A higher air dam will make trailer loading potentially easier.

Yup, all valid points...also a higher air dam is less likely to hit something a break.  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

29 minutes ago, Dabliz02 said:

Looking good!!

I looked at the previous post just now and I hope you eventually put on filters or screens for the carbs just in case.  You don't want to suck up anything.  Also let us know how the carb tuning went.  I also run 45s so I would like to see what other people get.

Yes, I'm running foam filters.  I really want the individual stack screens, but am cringing at $100 for $10 worth of stainless screen and a rubber ring. I should have my O2 logging installed soon so I can see where my A/F ratios are.  I have been hesitant to run it to redline without a better handle on where I am up top. 

4) A higher air dam will make trailer loading potentially easier.

That is a nice- looking car.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL