• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 BMW 1600 in Denver, CO - $8000

Mark92131

I saw this ad and thought I would pass it along.  A 1968 BMW 1600 in Turf? over Tan/Tobacco? interior,  Early car, reasonably complete, missing some trim, I could use that rare goose-neck passenger side mirror.

NM/NA,

Mark92131

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5546987846.html

00t0t_fyOToz92GMb_600x450.jpg

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Whoa:  a PAIR of swan's-neck mirrors!  Headrest seats (which begin approximately January 1, 1969) don't go with lack of sidemarkers (also begin January 1, 1969) so I suspect seats have been swapped in, as would be the 2002-style blacked-out grilles -- assuming it is a 1600.  Front bumper with side rub strips is mid-'71 through '73, except for over-riders, which could be almost any year through '72.  Mini-lite rims?

Potential here, but not cheap.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 5 years later...

Mark, I found this post a few months ago and was shocked this was the car I purchased in the summer of 16 for $4500. It looks better in the picture than it actually was. The color on the car was actually metallic and not Turf. When I had the car sand blasted the bondo fell off and there was rust in all the usual places ,Fenders, Rockers and floor boards. All the body work was performed locally as well as the upholstery. I did all the mechanical work myself except for the transmission (Korman Rebuilt it). Motor is rebuilt, Suspension and all bushings are replaced. Added sway bars on both front and rear. Needed to weld on clips in the rear for the sway bar,It didn't have any.

All this said, I would not have been able to complete this project with out the help of this knowledgeable community. I will always be grateful. Hopefully the attached pictures upload.

Mike 

1600 5.pdf 1600 6.pdf 1600 7.pdf 1600 8.pdf 1600.pdf 1600 2.pdf 1600 3.pdf 1600 4.pdf

• Like 4

Mark,

The Upholstery Was done at  F&H Auto Upholstery In Wheatridge Colorado. The Door Cards were done by Aardvarc. Short shift and Shift knob is from Ireland Engineering. The Carpet is from esty carpet. The mats are from Coco.  The instrument cluster is from a 74 with the original instruments installed with Chrome Rings from Didotuning on ebay. The center console is reconstructed using the original console as a template. The radio installation kit is from RogersTii.  The Black German vinyl (1965-71) for the console, B-Pillars and rear tray below the window is from AASE Sales. The solid white BMW import head Liner is from Headliner Express. The steering wheel was refurbished using eastwood steering wheel repair kit. The dash was repaired using the polyvance system. The polyvance system is holding up pretty well but a couple of cracks are appearing in the center of the dash. 

Special Thanks to Recourses from 2002faq

Headliner installation by Clay W

Esty Carpet install by M2M3

Retractable Seat Belt Install By nbcbird

Suspension rehab by BillWilliams

Window adjustment by hegedus

Thanks for the interest

• Like 2

02les, I could see why you asked about Tundra. The metallic paint was the last poorly done paint job with lots of overspray all over everything. It was even painted red at one time. But the areas under the hood and in the trunk that were original were not metalic. The car was manufactured around September of 67. When I researched the colors on this forum it led me to believe Turf was the correct color.

49 minutes ago, Miket said:

02les, I could see why you asked about Tundra. The metallic paint was the last poorly done paint job with lots of overspray all over everything. It was even painted red at one time. But the areas under the hood and in the trunk that were original were not metalic. The car was manufactured around September of 67. When I researched the colors on this forum it led me to believe Turf was the correct color.

Thanks Miket

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Although BMW Group Archives has been closed to public inquiries for most of this year, they are anticipated to resume this very popular (and free) service any day now. When that happens, an email to Archives with your car’s VIN, requesting the car’s data, will confirm the car’s factory color as well as the precise manufacturing date.

The email address for BMW Group Archives is:

info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com

Since you’ll just receive an automated reply until the service resumes, there’s absolutely no downside to enquiring now!

A U.S.-spec 1968 1600-2 manufactured in September 1967 will generally have a VIN from 1560001 to approximately 1560700.

Your car looks fabulous. Great save! Let’s get this beauty into this forum’s Registry!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)