• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new shop build

M3M3

after 6 months of planning and searching for contractors, have finally broken ground on the new shop.  plan is 30x30, 12ft ceiling first floor, 30x25 finished second floor.

two bays, two post lift in right bay, 4 post in left bay. ceiling height to accommodate clear floor two post lift. here is where it is going.  it will be a left turn right before hitting the house garage.

2015-02-01_10-10-32_899.jpg
into this hill...

20150826_192205.jpg

digging a hole into the hill
20160322_182105.jpg

there is a pool about 5ft behind that wall of dirt...

20160330_193521.jpg

pouring foundation footings

IMG_20160331_154207782.jpg

20160331_180954.jpg

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

This is an awesome professional sounding garage.

Are you doing radiant heat floors? They are super efficient, we keep our garage at 60° in the cold Maine winter.

Epoxy floor paint? Repels water and oil. After 9 years my dyed floor is looking pretty stained despite being sealed with clear oil based top coat.

Are you going to have enough clearance for opening the garage door with cars up on both lifts?

Add water, wish I had.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Speaking of garage doors - I saw some that opened straight up.  They didn't turn horizontal overhead like typical doors.  This garage also had a second floor, so there was plenty of clearance above to allow for this design.

Ruben

14 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

This is an awesome professional sounding garage.

Are you doing radiant heat floors? They are super efficient, we keep our garage at 60° in the cold Maine winter.

Epoxy floor paint? Repels water and oil. After 9 years my dyed floor is looking pretty stained despite being sealed with clear oil based top coat.

Are you going to have enough clearance for opening the garage door with cars up on both lifts?

Add water, wish I had.

debated heated floors.  since there will also be a second floor, ended up deciding on a mini-split hvac system that will have two heads, one upstairs and one downstairs.  one system for heat and AC.  shop will be 2x6 built, fully insulated.

definitely epoxy floor.  that is what i have in current shop.  

yes on clearance.  will be 8ft high doors on high lift tracks.

would do that vertical door thing except it would interfere with the windows on second floor.

there will be water for washing cars run to the shop.  held off on the bathroom/sink install for now as that incurred a significant cost for drainage, pipe venting through roof and sewage connection. 

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

Be careful in picking the dual system. Duals are typically 16-18 seer and 9 or so on the hasp or heat side. As well, the two spaces are very different use. I would suggest that you look at the single systems for each location. Efficiencies are much higher on the singles and you have better operating economy. Here at home I have a 25 seer/12 hasp and a 21 seer/12hspf. Compare the operating performance of each brand at different temps. Look at ALL the temp ranges. I can tell you that Fujitsu has the best low temp heating. Disclaimer here, I represented them for 12 years, but I also have them in my home and my kids homes. The achilles heel of mini-splits is keeping them clean. I would require your contractor to let you bird dog the first cleaning service call. My 30x34' shop is heated with a Rinnai Energysaver. Excellent product. I represented them as well. Radiant is nice. I can buy all the components at wholesale or better and install and service it as well and still chose not to do it. I need more nice shinny tools. BTW, what sizes are you looking at on the mshp?

10th Commandment:  "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house"  ...it doesn't say ANYTHING about my neighbor's shop, right? :)

Very nice, Marshall. ....very nice

tumblr_m9g9xkEjAf1qbdumgo1_r1_250.gif

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Very nice.

Do you have plans to have a "pass through" from the first to second floor?  That is - is the 2nd floor only mancave? Or do you plan on doing engine assembly up there, and then have the ability to drop things down to the first floor?

Good luck on the epoxy.  I did epoxy once, and admittedly, I didn't prep the floor correctly and it lifted.  I have two buddies that had it professionally done, and both times it lifted.  One guy had the company come back and re-do it, and it lifted the second time.  I've been really happy with tile.  I used swisstrax (or specifically, swisstrax ribtrax  http://www.swisstrax.com/ribtrax-garage-flooring/), and I'm really glad I did that.  The other thing I was happy I did was plumb the whole garage with air.  I bought a kit from Northern Tool that's all plastic lines, which has helped because I've since had to move 2 of the fittings, and that was super easy.  

One thing I didn't do correctly was outlets.  I wish I had done more outlets.  I added 3 more boxes, and it really wasn't enough.  I probably should have added at least 2 or 3 per wall.  And, on the compressor.  My compressor is a Craftsman oil-less compressor, and I like the size, but it is loud.  Really loud.  I've heard there are more expensive rotary compressors that are really quiet.  

I'm very jealous.  I wish I had more room.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

yes sir!

download_20160405_194449.jpg

download_20160405_194503.jpg

they built the form for the 8ft high by 30ft long retaining wall (pics are when in progress, much more substantial now) and finished the 3ft high CBS walls on the other three sides of the shop.  retaining wall concrete pour set for tomorrow.

there will be an inside stair case to the second floor.  plans for second floor will probably be half parts storage and half work out room overlooking the pool.

i have had opposite experience with epoxy and tiles.  the epoxy (home depot rustoleum) that i laid down in my current shop 14 years ago is still  perfect, despite the massive abuse.  no lifting.  i put in on a fresh slab and acid washed before rolling it out.  

tiles...ugh.  the open design of most of them traps dirt, and when you spill oil/coolant/etc it is impossible to clean up with out taking up the tile.  they look pretty in a show garage, but not using them in a working shop.

yep, lots of outlets!!!!!  

ditching the noisy 30gal oil less i have now and going with an 80gal ingersol rand dual stage on separate 240/30amp circuit.  air will be plumbed to a couple places.

2xM3

poor JimG...his 911 is stuck inside the right side house garage...driveway behind it is full of concrete blocks, lumber and a 30ft steel I-beam.  it will be a while before it sees the light of day again.  that's ok....he is focused on finishing his ti wannabee!

download_20160405_194453.jpg

2xM3