• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Body stand suggestions needed

TNan

I finished building my DIY body stand for my 72 02' however i ran into a little snag... I built it to tall. It stand on casters at 32". My jack goes as high as 18" which poses a problem trying to get the car on the stand. Any suggestions. Rebuilding my stand will be my last resort if i have to... I rather not go that route.

I am afraid you are going to lower it,  all you really need is about 10-14" in height, If you need it higher you can use 4x4's to block it.

I am unclear what you used to build your dolley but I used 2x6's, double coursed with lapped corners. 6" carriage bolts thru the corners  to bolt on the  8" casters. (All four corners were braced with 3/4 plywood as well).

It was long enough to pick up the front rails and just in front of the rear mounts. I used  5' 4x4's to sit on the dolley to pick up those jacking points. It gave me a working height of about 14". It remained on the car throughout all the metal work until it need to be painted.

So that said I am not sure the purpose intended but if it is simply to make the car mobile then the height is not really that important, IMO 

Have a pic?

Edited by joysterm

I built a stand a couple of months ago for my Alfa project. I can't recall the exact height, but I'd guess it's 18" or so. Even at that height it was a bit of a pain getting the shell lifted up there, 30+" will be interesting... Also, at that height off the ground, depending on the work you are doing to the car, that seems a little high. Yes, it will be nice in terms of getting the underside, but if you want to be doing work inside the floorpan, in the engine bay and trunk, this may be a bit higher than optimal. Please note, I'm just talking speculatively, but something to consider. The height I have mine is great for "topside" work, but it still kinds of sucks crawling underneath. Oh for a rotiserrie...

post-32732-0-34240200-1458085147_thumb.j

Getting mine on and off it's stand was not a smooth job. Two engine hoists should do the job for you. Have several hands ready in the event things don't go to plan.

Your stand looks pretty good. I wished I seen it first before I made mine. Is your stand secure to the car at any place or is it just sitting on it (in other words is there a chance for the car to slide around on the stand)? I plan to put mine on a trailer.  I can't tell from the rear of the stand, is your 02 only sitting on posts or is there a horizontal 'beam' like you have on your rails?

I am afraid you are going to lower it,  all you really need is about 10-14" in height, If you need it higher you can use 4x4's to block it.

I am unclear what you used to build your dolley but I used 2x6's, double coursed with lapped corners. 6" carriage bolts thru the corners  to bolt on the  8" casters. (All four corners were braced with 3/4 plywood as well).

It was long enough to pick up the front rails and just in front of the rear mounts. I used  5' 4x4's to sit on the dolley to pick up those jacking points. It gave me a working height of about 14". It remained on the car throughout all the metal work until it need to be painted.

So that said I am not sure the purpose intended but if it is simply to make the car mobile then the height is not really that important, IMO 

Have a pic?

I'll post pics shortly (I'm not sure if I'm ready to accept criticism - haha).  You're right about how the car is only for mobility (putting it on a trailer) - so I guess I overdid it on the height. I decided I'm going to chop the height done. 

I built a stand a couple of months ago for my Alfa project. I can't recall the exact height, but I'd guess it's 18" or so. Even at that height it was a bit of a pain getting the shell lifted up there, 30+" will be interesting... Also, at that height off the ground, depending on the work you are doing to the car, that seems a little high. Yes, it will be nice in terms of getting the underside, but if you want to be doing work inside the floorpan, in the engine bay and trunk, this may be a bit higher than optimal. Please note, I'm just talking speculatively, but something to consider. The height I have mine is great for "topside" work, but it still kinds of sucks crawling underneath. Oh for a rotiserrie...

I'm glad you brought up an important point - I would need to get inside to do some work. So right there alone is enough for me to lower it! Thanks!

Your stand looks pretty good. I wished I seen it first before I made mine. Is your stand secure to the car at any place or is it just sitting on it (in other words is there a chance for the car to slide around on the stand)? I plan to put mine on a trailer.  I can't tell from the rear of the stand, is your 02 only sitting on posts or is there a horizontal 'beam' like you have on your rails?

Yes, a beam. The rear rests on the rails inside of the wheel wells and the front is where the front subframe was. It did the job and it only took a night to design and build. I had to roll the shell out of the garage where there was a 6" gap between the garage and the drive and at one point it tried rolling the lower truss where the wheels attached off at the mount (tearing the metal joiner). Caught it before there was any problems and just put a new joiner and was more careful.

Getting mine on and off it's stand was not a smooth job. Two engine hoists should do the job for you. Have several hands ready in the event things don't go to plan.

that's pretty nice.

I made something with some left over 2x4s I had... I don't think it was good but it did (and is doing) the job.

Front: a few 2x4s stacked (for height) on both sides with two 2x4s that run from one side to the other (3 is thick side vertical)

Back: three 2x4s from carrier stud to carrier stud (all thick side vertical), with a couple on the ends stacked for height. I also put a piece angle to the other rear sub frame mounting point (under rear seat, name eludes me) to keep it from bending the stud.

Like i said.. not pretty but works.

19393143970_bfc77cd8f0.jpg

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

When and if I get to this point I and considering a couple of 1000 pound dollies that you can get for @ $30

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200621940_200621940?cm_mmc=Bing-pla&utm_source=Bing_PLA&utm_medium=Material%20Handling%20%3E%20Dollies%20%2B%20Movers&utm_campaign=Ironton&utm_content=41697&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=41697

some 4x4 posts or similar for height adjustment and sell the dolly when done with the project

Slowly building a $20,000 $4000 car

If it "ran when parked" you wouldn't have parked it!

When and if I get to this point I and considering a couple of 1000 pound dollies that you can get for @ $30

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200621940_200621940?cm_mmc=Bing-pla&utm_source=Bing_PLA&utm_medium=Material%20Handling%20%3E%20Dollies%20%2B%20Movers&utm_campaign=Ironton&utm_content=41697&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=41697

some 4x4 posts or similar for height adjustment and sell the dolly when done with the project

Good idea...

FYI: Harbour freight has them on sale for $11.99

http://m.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-12-in-1000-lb-capacity-hardwood-dolly-62399.html

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by MildSeven

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

Yes easy to find on ebay as well sub the list price. Just thought this was a  very easy solution and you can get rid of them or  pass them on to others on the forum.

Slowly building a $20,000 $4000 car

If it "ran when parked" you wouldn't have parked it!

• 2 weeks later...