• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Inka Back on the road with a Thank you

GirtAllerton

Finally after 2 yrs the Inka Bomb is back on the road. Big thanks to all the contributers here. Expecially Toby and Marshall. Your occasional direct and indirect help was priceless. The story: I found a super clean, orginal paint 72 Inka in Cali 3 yrs ago and drove it home to Phila right after purchase. After a motor rebuild including 10.5:1 mahle pistons, schrick 292, twin webers and lots of extras we had some serious mission creep. A 5 speed trans, lsd, bigger brakes and grd control coil over system found its way onto the car. Had my first real drive in a Pennsylvania snow storm to start breaking her in...

Just a few pictures from a guy smiling ear to ear. Hope to see you all at the Vintage in Asheville and hopefully Monterey Cali this year....

Cheers Girt

Also a Big Thanks to Steve at Blunt Tech for help with finding the right parts to make it all fit together....

post-42021-0-25719300-1455121084_thumb.j

post-42021-0-93081000-1455121124_thumb.j

post-42021-0-95026200-1455121166_thumb.j

post-42021-0-43679500-1455121205_thumb.j

Edited by GirtAllerton

Sharp looking car. What shop are you using in Philadelphia? I'm in NJ near Atlantic City and am searching for a nice 72-73tii myself. Moved out here from San Francisco (near Peter Pan BMW!) a few years ago for work - sold my Inka 74tii. 

Happy driving! 

1973 Inka 2002tii (2764445) 

1974 Inka 2002tii (2782629) / Sold

1969 Porsche 912 (129000269) / Sold

I would love to know more about the overall build (perhaps a brief thread w/pics???) of the car, if you're so inclined! I'm planning on doing something virtually identical with a low-mileage '73 that I just acquired. Also, how have you handled the original paint? How much "massaging" have you had to do to get it looking like that?

Edited by 1936spyder

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

What wheels are these ?

They look like 14" E30 steel wheels.  They came in silver back in the day - black now.

Steel rim schwarz - 36 11 1 178 826 - 51/2JX14 ET:35 - 17.5 lb

003_zps7438be4b.jpg

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Thanks for the kind words guys. I will try to add a few photos over the weekend.

The engine was a completed rebuild with a focus on balancing everything. My mechanic owns a P-car shop in Allentown Pa that I've developed a great relationship with. The engine has 3rd oversize mahle pistons at 10:1, a 121 head that we ported and gasket matched to intake and exhaust. Oversized intake valves, schrick 292 cam, IE rockers, standard springs. Twin Italian weber 40 DCOEs with IE intake that was also ported and "cleaned up". Exhaust is IE long header into an older IE stainless exhaust. Not happy with the length of the header as it hangs low but it does its job. Used the IE kit for rod mount style throttle linkage and then custom made a additional linkage from the pedal. Will try to post photos of that because I know that it caused us a lot of head scratching. Ignition is a full msd 6al box, msd distributer from vac motorsport , msd coil and tach adapter. Moroso wires round it out.

This was mated to a 5 speed trans with a custom bracket. No offense but the aftermarket one I purchased was crap. Center console deleted with an older floor mount boot ring welded in. Esty carpet kit to follow. Rear is lsd 3.90. Suspension is ground control coil over system front/rear with 275/250 springs. Front/Rear subframes were blasted and power coated. Rear arms were reinforced. IE front/rear sways. All new rubber bushings to keep the suspension from being to harsh. Brakes Volvo vented disc up front with 250mm drums rear. LED rear light kit to keep from getting hit and H4s to see where we are going. Rims are E-30 steelies, power coated silver with BF Goodrich G Force Super Sports 195/60/14 for all weather driving.  15x7 Rota Rbs just didn't fit the rear.

Paint is how I purchased it. The car has a lot of patina that doesn't show in photos but I dig it that way. I did take the engine bay down to bare metal and resprayed it by can with Inka. It was close but not exact. If you are looking you can see the difference but it was better that what it was looking like. Just couldn't drop a new motor in there. Otherwise she has flaws, dings and bumps but if I'm driving it then I don't have to worry about paint. Finally we also customized the fuel tank. I like driving and cross country trips are not out of the question so we upsized the tank to about 20-21 gals with an in the trunk filler.

So that's the long and short of it. Mission creep over 2 yrs but I got to do a lot of the work myself and at least had my hands on everything. Priceless. Will be betting on a 10,000 mile year ahead with my plans. Lets see if the Inka Bomb will make it.

Sorry so long...... Hope it helped. It was my guess on how to build a car for me to drive. By the way 3rd gear is a monster that will pull from 25 to 75 and still has room to go! What fun. Big grins.

Edited by GirtAllerton

Freedo, Unfortunately that was a one off tank. My mechanic was willing to do it for me due to our long relationship but the liability would prevent him from making them for others. If you can find someone to do the welding ect.. Then he can lengthen the sender for you. Just drop me a note if you ever need that done. Also trust me its cheaper to find an original and get it shipped from Germany for the cost by time it was done.

Freedo, Yes we did all the head work at the shop. I got a quick lesson on how to port on the first one then spent about 60 hrs doing the rest by hand with guidance. A 5 way valve job was done after fitting the larger intakes. If you need a place to do this may I suggest VAC motorsports in Philadelphia as they are all set up to do the work if your sending it out. Plus it looks like your in Del. so it would be close enough for you to run over there. Its located in the "hood" in Philly but they are great guys.