• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pump chain hitting oil pump cause rod knock type noise?

E39guy

I pulled my M10 expecting to find bad rod bearings. I was unsure though because pulling the plug wires revealed no change in the knocking sound. After pulling my pan it's very clear my oil pump chain has enough slack to hit the pump housing. I pulled a main bearing cap and while there was some VERY minor scratching that a polish job could remove, the bearings looked good. I am going to pull all the main and rod caps now and check the bearings for evidence of damage.

I suspected I COULD be hearing a chain slapping around in there due to the noise it was making. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

post-48591-0-38717700-1447461865_thumb.j

Edited by E39guy

1974 Golf Yellow 2002 restoration under way!

First of all is there any evidence of the chain hitting? From experience you will see scratches and marking and if the chain encounters aluminum it will eat into it fast. 

Also chain rattle/slap usually occurs on change of RPM, constant rpm will load the chain up on one side and it will be pretty quiet. 

You say you pulled a main bearing cap? Did you mean to say rod cap? You need to check all of them. 

Did you cut the filter open and check the media for debris?

Edited by Anthony

No I just pulled a main real quick right before I left the house since it was easier. I will go pull the rod caps now. There are marks where the chain has touched that area. I have no clue how long its been since this motor has been run. It is worse when revved but when you hold it at just the right rpm you can hear it as well.

I am going to go pull the bearing caps now, the suspense is too much. BRB

1974 Golf Yellow 2002 restoration under way!

You can test for whether the chain is worn to differentiate from just a shimming issue by holding the chain against the oil pump sprocket at two points 180 degress apart (i.e. 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock locations) with the thumb and fingers of one hand. Then with the other hand lift the chain at midway between the points held. If the chain is worn the chain pitch will have inceased and it will lift away from the sprocket. If not worn, it will hold tight against the sprocket.

Most likely the chain is worn, but this check tells something about what is going on.

The technique can also be used on a cam drive chain with only the valve cover removed!

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Buy some plastigauge and see what it says.  It's not perfect, but good enough for a go- no go like this.

There's a lot of metal on those shells- they can be worn, and not look too bad.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL