• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield Wiper Linkage stripped

Frank Vogel

The little metal knob that my wiper arm sits on is stripped on the inside.  It spins freely with the wiper arm off.  I have been looking for a place to buy the part but, I have had no luck so far.  Does anyone know where to buy that piece of my wiper system?  The passenger side wiper works fine.  I hit it with a punch trying to create some friction but that only lasted one swing of the wiper arm.  Can I weld this thing?  I am in Spanaway Washington. Someone please help me before the rain starts.

If you go to www.realoem.com and enter the details of your car it will give you access to a fully detailed parts catalogue (ETK as BMW call it). Find the section that covers wipers, identity your part that is damaged and see if there is a price listed next to it. This means that the part is still available to be purchased from BMW and other OEM suppliers. Make a note of the part number and then contact your favourite supplier. This could be your local BMW dealer or even Maximilion who actually runs the Realoem site (which is a huge benefit for old BMW owners).

I would personally recommend emailing steve@blunttech.com who will be able to fix you up for a good price and with excellent service.

If it says 'ENDED' next to the part this means that it is no longer available. This is a bit trickier but I would suggest that You post a WTB ad on this site.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Can you provide a picture and the diameter of the "knob" you are describing, I have a spare wiper transmission with the parts you are looking for.

+1. I have several (probably 4-5 sets of wiper motors and linkages) but they are in RI. Sourcing locally would probably be cheaper than shipping costs. What exact part do you need? 

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Locate part numbers of the wiper pivots from Penkeparts website, Max or others.  

Try using those numbers on www.parts.com website (ignore the vehicle entry data)

Note the left and right pivots are different (they have different arm lengths).

BTW - I did a crude "how to refurbish your wipers" article in the FAQ articles under construction section.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

One more popular redneck technique, which I need to try on my truck sometime soon (parts not available at all for it), is to drill a hole thru the shaft and wiper arm, and put a roll pin in it.  

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

One more popular redneck technique, which I need to try on my truck sometime soon (parts not available at all for it), is to drill a hole thru the shaft and wiper arm, and put a roll pin in it.  

My 69 had the pass. side modified with a pin.  I trashed all that crap and put new pivots and rods in it.  Do it once and do it right and never mess with it again.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

My 69 had the pass. side modified with a pin.  I trashed all that crap and put new pivots and rods in it.  Do it once and do it right and never mess with it again.

Well sorrrrry, but if he's throwing all the stuff out anyways and getting new, it wouldn't hurt to drill them to buy a week or two until the right right parts are sourced.

For my truck, the only other linkage I could find was a used one on ebay, and when it arrived I found out somebody had already drilled one of the pins.  I'm looking into figuring out how to fabricate a new shaft or adapt one, but drilling seems to be the most reliable option..  For the last couple years, I've just been relying on Rain-X, which does well enough.  

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

• 3 weeks later...