• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Talk me in to OR out of this 2002!

When I was growing up, seat belts were an option on a car and babies (and my 5 siblings) sat it mom's arms. We all survivied despite the steel dashboard.

I think that if you teach a kid to drive these days in a vintage car, it means that they NEED to pay attention to the road and everything around them. Put the phone away and not treat a car like a couch in your living room.

Not a bad bad life lesson IMO.

While you were growing up, the overall death rate per miles traveled was MUCH, MUCH, higher than it is today (look it up). Your family was lucky, as were many other people, because they didn't ever get into a major accident while unbelted and holding a baby. The laws of physics have never changed. Today's drivers may be worse, but modern cars are exponentially safer, as are modern child seats. 

I cannot completely indict a parent for allowing their child to drive a vintage car, but both parent and child need to be fully aware that said car is not nearly as safe as modern car in terms of crash protection. You can put your kid through all kinds of defensive and performance driving schools, but that may not save them from the drunk driver of an SUV that blows through a red light and T-bones your kid's car. 

I guess my overall point is, only get a vintage car for your kid if it is for the right reason. You are not doing your kid a favor if you buy such a car in an attempt to re-live your youth vicariously through him/her. If your kid is not a car person, let them not be a car person! If they are, then you can teach them responsibility through a father-son project, and maybe let them drive it when completed!

---Chris, who is also a Street Survival instructor

Edited by cda951

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

Personal opinion, from a stepdad who's been through a pair of teenagers (one male, one female) 15 or so years ago - no way I'd put a teen driver in another '02.

Friend of my wife's gave us a non-smog legal '76 in the early 90's, did a somewhat questionable transfer that wasn't subject to a smog check, and told me it was on us if we wanted to deal with smogging it the next time it came due.   Step daughter was just past 16, drove the car to school and to the barn where she kept her horse until the afternoon when she overcooked it in the rain on a downhill curve near our house and ran up a bank and into a tree to avoid hitting a pickup head on.   Car was totaled, she walked away.

Step son (one year younger) had a 68 Rambler 2 door post sedan (232 six, a/t) all the way through high school - drove like a lunatic, still don't know how he survived without crashing and taking several other people with him.

If I had to do it over again, I'd insist on putting 'em both in slow, solid, mid-sized, manual transmission, 2 door sedans (hard to text when both hands are busy, and with only two doors their buddies can't pile in and out of the back seat as easily) - either Volvo 240's or something not too expensive with airbags and abs.  

If they gripe about driving a dull "gramma car", tell them you'll discuss something they like better in a year or so when they've shown they can take car of the car and keep it in one piece.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Get the 2002 and spend the money you save from buying a new car on taking your son to a "street survival" course to learn good defensive driving habits.

http://streetsurvival.org/

Make an agreement to never text in the car. Put the phone in the glove box. Period, end of discussion.

I would have killed to drive a 2002 in high school. Or, basically anything other than my gold-metal-flake 4-door '77 Impala sedan. It was immaculate and had a 305 and an open-diff. Lots of one-wheel streaks...

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element

We live in a culture of fear and a generation coming forward that will have trouble preparing a pop tart , much less cooking a soufflé, or learning how to double clutch, left foot brake, or oversteer intelligently.  I admire the essence and excellence of you wanting your child to share deep values and be involved in life. Driving a BMW 2002 has been one of the great joys in my life. I once had a girlfriend ask me if I would "drive this way if we had children." I stated that yes, they  would be safer in the back of my 911 because it has a full roll cage, and that they would grow up with a sense of adventure and passion for life. I agree with Marshall and others who say "do it" go ahead and get A classic car and teach your son how to really drive. Take your son auto crossing in the rain. Teach him how to bump second before going into first gear or reverse. Teach them how to play the "what if game"  that all motorcyclists play. (I. E. What if this person pulls out in front of me or if the motorcycle starts to slide in this corner what will I do ? what contingency plan will I have for regaining control) teaching your son how to think and solve problems, how to be passionately, deeply aware of living in the moment are qualities that will come along with his driving a vintage 2002, or better yet how about a TR 3 (like arminyack) with wire wheels. The TR 3 would be better for teenage dating, however, the 2002 does have a rear seat.    Many of us on this forum were lucky to mature at a time when we were relatively fearless.  For many of us the most difficult thing in life is providing children with the same sorts of challenges and growth opportunities that we had.  A friend of my family allowed me to drive their VW beetle when I was seven years old. My love for machinery began at that time. Many people would say oh no-that is a bad idea. Not me, I took my nephew out to a large parking lot, and let him drive my 911 slant  when he was 10 years old. It is important to be challenged, to learn and grow, and not be coddled too much. Yes the world is a dangerous place, and I would probably not eat the liver of a blowfish, which is famously neurotoxic if not prepared correctly. Some risks, however, are completely worth it. It is our duty, our obligation if you will, to convey not only a determination to move from point A to point B, but a ---celebration of life to the next generation. Your son is clearly very lucky that you care about him so much, let more than fear Guide your heart in this matter.  Cheers, Peter

post-39399-0-64452500-1435025083_thumb.j

post-39399-0-61980400-1435025566_thumb.j

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum