• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic seat gurus - HELP! 2002 Turbo Recaro? Porsche?

oz_tom

Hi all, 

I stumbled across these seats and I'm just trying to figure out what they came from...

He says he thinks they are an early Recaro and I'm half agreeing with him in the general seat style (he bought them for his 912). 

Turbo seat for reference: http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/S023.jpg

Early Porsche seat style for reference: http://www.lakewell.com/en/porsche/911/65-73/sport-seat-restoration-kit-2-seats-porsche-911-65-73

Possible someones done a resto-mod retrim? 

Any way to verify what model these are? 

Thanks all for any leads!

post-9164-0-13374000-1434371534_thumb.jp

post-9164-0-46264000-1434371544_thumb.jp

post-9164-0-33418100-1434371554_thumb.jp

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

I consider my self a bit of a "seat" guy ..but there are others here, and a few other forums, that know waaay more....

these dont shout anything out to me

....the hardware can reveal alot...knobs, levers etc...

The upper seat shape is throwing me...but that can be due to a reupholster job.

Id say 90% NO to early 911 seats.........based on bolster shapes.

and 90% no to early bmw sport as well.....

they were trimmed yes...but Id doubt some1 would re shape the bolsters?.....

lets see the knobs etc,,,

Seatback release lever could be from many vehicles.   I thought the early VW's used a more pronounced release knob.  The ones on these seats remind me of some air-cooled VW levers.  

What about Mustang/Capri?

Are there any markings/labels on the underside of the seat bottoms?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

+1 on what the other guys said!

The seatback release lever built into the backrest suggests to me a very specific factory application, as opposed to a generic aftermarket application. The complete absence of a Recaro mark on any of the knobs or handles -- I'm assuming you would tell us if one of those knobs said "Recaro" -- suggests they are NOT Recaro. In addition, through the process of locating parts for my '72-'73 Recaro Idealsitz S seats, I have accidentally grown somewhat familiar with Recaros and 911 seats from the inception of the 911 ('65) through '75, and these are neither Recaros nor 911 seats of that era, in my opinion.

But I might date them '76-'86 if I had to guess, and I'll bet some of the suggestions above are pretty close!

Don't pay '70 Recaro or 911 money for them!

The Porsche forums, e.g., early 911S and Pelican Parts, have LOTS more discussion of seats than do we here on the FAQ -- probably because restorable authentic 911 seats can easily sell for $2,000 in un-usable condition. But I don't know that the Porsche forums will really help here, since I don't believe these are Porsche seats.

Good luck with your research!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thank you all for the help nutting this one through - really appreciate it! I was hoping they would be a 60's / 70's period seat but from my searching over the last 12 hours or so, i'm constantly drawn back to the similarities between these seats and the Mk 2 VW Golf GTi (see below pic) seats. Any inconsistencies could be put down to a retrim...

vw-golf-g60-06.jpg

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky