• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Advice on Selling Special Project Car

First73Tii

Hmmmm...first Tii off the line but you don't know the VIN. No pictures either. OK here's my advice... take detailed photos and do the research to present a documented "first" Tii, then go ahead and post it for free on this website. All truth will come out with this great group of '02 enthusiasts. Hopefully a rusty '02 will start to bring the kind of money the derelict 356s and 911s are bringing right now, or it may take a while, we'll see.

On 11/21/2014 at 10:25 PM, scoopyg said:

...first Tii off the line but you don't know the VIN. No pictures either. OK here's my advice... take detailed photos and do the research to present a documented "first" Tii...

That's the first '73 model year U.S. tii, not the first tii, not the first U.S. tii. I suspect the actual premium associated with the first car of the U.S. tii's second model year is relatively small, if even quantifiable. Still, there is only one first car of a given model year.

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The VIN was posted by Mike Self earlier in the thread - the VIN is 2762630.  I asked him about how he knew it was the first 1973 2002tii and he said:

Yes, your car was actually assembled sometime (probably) in September 1972.  BMW began their annual car VINs by calendar year (1 Jan-31 Dec), not by model year (generally 1 Sept-31 Aug) like we do here in the US.  That causes all sorts of confusion to 02 owners who don't understand the difference.  Thus my own '73 was actually assembled on 17 Dec 72, but it is most certainly a '73. 

As for the folks who question your car as the first '73, have 'em go to pages 51-4 and 51-8 in the factory parts book (also on-line at RealOEM.com).  The former shows the front bumper assembly, the latter, the rear.  Have 'em look at the part numbers for the pointy front bumper guards and front bumper brackets (both unique to the '73 cars) on page 51-4 and note the beginning VINs for these parts; have 'em do the same on page 51-8 for the rear bumper bracket and rubber covers, also unique to the '73s.  That's factory confirmation.

I'm waiting for Mike's help on the description - I have photos.  Then I will post it on this forum for sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's advice.

The 1973 2002 tii (first 1973 USA spec tii) is now listed in the Cars For Sale section with a link to photos.  Photos not great, car in a dusty (heated) garage with lots of body parts inside the car from when it was placed in storage.  Now in another storage facility.  Hoped to get some photos during move, but it occurred at dusk.

I hope it finds a good home soon.  Not often a project car comes with all the sheet metal.

Edited by First73Tii

Hmmmm...first Tii off the line but you don't know the VIN. No pictures either. OK here's my advice... take detailed photos and do the research to present a documented "first" Tii, then go ahead and post it for free on this website. All truth will come out with this great group of '02 enthusiasts. Hopefully a rusty '02 will start to bring the kind of money the derelict 356s and 911s are bringing right now, or it may take a while, we'll see.

Hi scoopyg, since you're kind of new around here, you should know that Mike Self's word is to be trusted.  He writes for the Roundel, and is one of the most knowledgeable guys about everything 02 related (possibly THE most).

If he says it's the first 73tii, then it is.  :) 

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser