• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Advice on Selling Special Project Car

First73Tii

I just lost the storage space for my 1973 Tii project car.  I suppose it is a typical project car except for 2 things.  First - it is the very first 1973 2002 Tii off the line (I don't remember the VIN, but Mike Self could probably tell you off  the top of his head, or I could look at the insurance card).  Second - I bought all the replacement sheet metal for it many years ago.  And it does need all the sheet metal replaced.  And the engine was rebuilt about a year before the work started on the car.  The shop that was going to do the work (many years ago) barely got started and then didn't have the time, and at this point in my life (retired) I'm never going to get around to it.  And I still have my 1974 2002 for fun.

I sure would like to see it restored.  Any ideas on how to find a buyer to love and restore the first 1973 2002tii?

So as not to disappoint Lynn--the VIN is 2762630. If you look in the factory parts book at any of the 1973-unique parts (front and rear bumper brackets, etc) you'll see that those parts begin being used in production with this VIN.

I've known Lynn for over 30 years and this car for close to 20 years (as long as she's owned it, anyway) and discovered the VIN's significance many year ago--the number stuck in my mind because it was my old street number when I was in high school--and then noticed it in the parts book when I was looking up a part for my '73.

The car is Verona red, no sunroof, straight and very original, but rusty. However there's all the new sheet metal to fix the rusty stuff, and its special status make it worth saving.

cheers from Corn Island, Nicaragua

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Yeah, I'm in the same Dayton suburb as Mike.  I could tell you the story about meeting Mike.  It was about 1981 and he informed me (I discovered him inspecting my car in a parking lot) that my 1600-2 was not a 1969 as I had just told him, it was a 1968 (no matter what my title said) and he proceeded to prove it.  It did explain why I used to get into arguments at the parts counter ("no it doesn't have dual piston brake calipers, I have taken them off the car - they are single pistons", "But 1969s have dual piston calipers, you need the dual piston rebuild kit", "No I don't, they are single piston calipers!")

No private messages I know of.  I'm about to go take photos of the car and all those parts I bought many years ago.

Edited by First73Tii

Just got back from taking photos. I was sure Mike made a mistake on color - my 1600-2 was Granada, this 73 Tii is Verona (black interior).  I verified it was Verona by checking the sticker.  I will work on a write up for it.  I know some of the previous history of the car.   At the moment the car is almost more black than red from the new body parts in their black primer.

The parts bought (from BMW Mobile Traditions) for it were: trunk floor (spare tire well and gas tank support), rear shock housings, both quarter panels, both doors, both fenders, hood, nose piece, and the rear panel.  Not sure about the trunk lid.  At the time it was about $5000 in body parts.  The passaenger side has had the rear shock housing, quarter, and door replaced, and the work done under the front fender, but the fender is not installed.  Other side has had work done under the fender (both front fenders currently off.  Original body parts still with it, uphostery and trim and glass is out but there.  The shop that did the work is a good one (they did my 1974 2002) but the guy who was doing the work came down with Parkinson's and Ed never got another guy good at that kind of restoration work.

Edited by First73Tii

Fascinating story.  The sale and restoration of your tii should be written up in Bimmer or Roundel with loads of pictures.  With the right sales/promotion effort, you should do quite well selling the tii.  Good luck to you.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

curious...is there something special about the "first" 73tii?  it is not the first tii.  it is just a car in the middle of a long production run.  the VIN is not a round number like 276000.  it is the car right after the "last" 72tii.  is the "first" 74tii also special?  there were so many changes made seemingly monthly in the cars in production that a car like this would not be any more unique than one built a month earlier or later?

just wondering....

2xM3

I have photos now, but can't quite figure out how to post any on this site.  It seems like everything locks up when I try to do anything.

I really don't know what to ask for as price.  I was offered $2002 for it, but all the new sheet metal should be worth more than that.  When I look today the nose is over $900 and each door was over $450 and each quarter panel was $850, and the trunk floor was $450.  I couldn't find the hood listed for sale.  I didn't check the smaller parts. I figure I would get photos together and work on the description - Mike Self said he would help with that when he gets back in the country tomorrow.  I will talk to him about it.  It might be that ebay is the way to go.

I've heard it said that today the first and last cars of model years are the museum pieces.  Other than that I don't know what particular benefit the first and last are.  It was the fact that the car was the first 73tii that I saved the car and bought all the sheet metal for it many years ago.  Mike Self was pretty excited when he realized it was the first.  And some years later he mentioned someone that was looking to find the first and the last of the model years to see if they still survived (I never heard the result).

Years ago I remember a porsche 911 being advertised with some special serial number/production number (don't remember the details now), was listed on ebay for like $500k or some crazy number.  The relevance of the porsche story is questionable I guess, that car of course was torn apart by the early 911s registry forum, no idea if it ever did sell.  Bottom line is that you should list it for what you think it is worth or what you want or need to get out of it ..... and guess what?  The market will tell you what it is worth, because that is all that matters (folks with money) not speculators on a forum.

It may be that there is someone out there that is willing to pay more because of the vin, or maybe not.  You would be ill-advised to equate value to the retail prices of sheet metal parts purchased .... sorry to say in my experience it doesn't often work that way.  Best of luck with your sale.

www.alpinabmw2002.com